logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: March 15

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Mar 15, 2020 at 5:30 AM

March 15, 1884: The Comet began publication as a weekly publication. It was founded by Robert L. Taylor, Charles J. St. John and Nat C. Love.

March 15, 1888: In a survey of church membership of Johnson City made by the Young Men’s Christian Association, the Christian Church was listed with a total membership of 120.

March 15, 1930: A new fire station was in planning for West Walnut Street, with bids to be opened the following Thursday.

March 15, 1944: Local officers were looking for a man who had impersonated an FBI agent, as well as allegedly taking money from H.C. Hoss, who was manager of a grocery store.

March 15, 1948: Sheriff Luke M. Warrick’s department was investigating the circumstances that surrounded the death of W.J. Cofer. Cofer’s body was found the day before along the bank of Brush Creek. He had been missing since the previous Saturday.

March 15, 1953: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle opined that the Chamber of Commerce couldn’t have picked a new president more solidly sold on Johnson City than Ed Backus. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Backus had played football at the University of Chattanooga and King College before entering the military.

March 15, 1957: Arney Motor Co. offered the first day of a free two-day circus at its West Main Street lot. The event featured elephant rides, elephant acts, clown shows and free candy.

March 15, 1962: Science Hill High School Students Don Jenkins and Gene Range were pictured in the Johnson City Press dancing The Twist.

Sources: History of Johnson City and its Environs by Samuel Cole Williams; First Christian Church; Johnson City Chronicle; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories

Johnson City Press Videos