Grand jury indicts East Tennessee State University student on aggravated rape charge

Becky Campbell • Updated Jul 24, 2019 at 3:47 PM

Editor’s note: On Nov. 29, 2019, Criminal Court Judge dismissed the aggravated rape charge against Anas Alharbi. The state had declined to prosecute, citing insufficient evidence to establish proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

An East Tennessee State University student was indicted earlier this month on an aggravated rape charge stemming from a reported assault at a campus apartment in January.

Anas Alharbi, 25, 1113 High St., Apt 106, was arrested the same day as the Jan. 12 assault on another student, according to court records and an ETSU police report. He is still a student at the university, but was not enrolled in classes this semester, ETSU spokesman Joe Smith said.

Campus police were dispatched to Buccaneer Ridge Apartments around 4 a.m. Jan. 12 about a disturbance between several people. The caller identified a man who had left the area in a gold vehicle. The man, later identified as Alharbi, was with a group of other students he had apparently recently met. Alharbi was listed as an “acquaintance” in the police report.

The group had been socializing and drinking together at dinner, then returned to a campus apartment. At some point, Alharbi apparently followed woman into a bedroom, locked the door and began making sexual advances toward her. The woman told police that she told Alharbi to stop, but he continued and became aggressive when she tried to push him away.

According to a court document, Alhari held the woman down and forced the woman to have sex. 

Police who responded to the scene stated in the report that there were visible marks and the beginnings of bruising on the woman’s neck. In addition to that, several of the woman’s fingernails were missing and her glasses were broken and the earpiece was missing. An investigator found one nail in the bedroom where the alleged rape happened, but did not find the missing eyeglass piece.

Alharbi was being held on a $25,000 bond. His next court appearance was scheduled for July 31.

Johnson City Press Videos