Three separate attempted murder cases in court Friday

Becky Campbell • Updated Feb 4, 2019 at 9:08 PM

A man accused of grazing his girlfriend’s father with a gunshot after beating the girlfriend with his gun was arraigned in Washington County Criminal Court on Friday on attempted murder and assault charges.

Jonathan Cross, 35, 107 Tamassee Drive, Johnson City, was originally charged with attempted second-degree murder, but a grand jury indicted him on attempted first-degree murder, four counts of aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and possession of a firearm in the commission of a dangerous felony.

According to court and police records:

• The incidents occurred at about 5 a.m. Sept. 18 outside Cross’ residence. Cross was involved in a domestic dispute with his girlfriend, who called her father to come and get her. Her father arrived and was walking away with his daughter when Cross came out of the house and showed a handgun.

• Cross struck his girlfriend’s face with the gun, causing significant facial injuries. He then pointed the gun at the father and fired a shot. The father was able to duck and only suffered a graze wound on his head. The father wrestled the gun away from Cross, and the two fought.

• The father was later treated and released from the hospital and questioned by police investigators. Cross’ girlfriend was also taken to the hospital for treatment and later released.

In court on Friday, Scott Shults was appointed to represent Cross and the case was reset for April 22. He remained jailed on $250,000 bond.

The two other cases recently indicted and with court hearings on Friday were:

Larry Bailey, 63, 1182 Old State Route 34, Jonesborough, was arraigned on charges of attempted second-degree murder, two counts of aggravated assault, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Police say the incident happened Oct. 20, when deputies were sent on a call about someone saying he had killed someone.

Officers found Bailey uncooperative and intoxicated, and he became more agitated when they tried to calm him down. No victim was found at the scene, but officers learned that a woman had arrived at the Johnson City Medical Center ER with blood all over her.

She later told officers that she and Bailey had been in an argument when he began choking her and stabbing her with a knife. She was able to get away from him and run to a neighbor for help.

Bailey remained jailed on $100,000 bond. The public defender’s office was appointed to represent him, and his next court date was set for April 8.

Gerald Harris, 37, 110 W. Pine St., Apt. 5, was arrested after Johnson City police officers were called to his residence about a woman being assaulted by her boyfriend. When officers arrived, no one answered the door but they located the woman at a nearby convenience store. 

The woman said Harris got angry after learning she had attended an AA meeting with a male friend. Harris allegedly began choking and beating the woman, pulled her upstairs by her hair and locked her into a room and said he would kill her. Eventually the woman was able to escape from Harris and flee to safety, police said.

Harris told police the woman showed up at his apartment with the injuries and he had witnesses, but he could only provide vague information and street names for the people. 

Defense attorney Scott Shults was appointed to represent Harris in Friday.  Harris remained jailed on $100,000 bond. His next court hearing was set for April 22.


Johnson City Press Videos