Trial in 2016 murder case rescheduled from July to next year

Becky Campbell • Jun 28, 2018 at 7:57 PM

A Johnson City man’s first-degree murder trial in a 2016 roadway shooting was scheduled to begin in a few weeks, but a medical issue caused it to be delayed until next year.

Michael W. Young, 48, was originally charged with second-degree murder after he allegedly shot and killed a neighbor, Jose Mijares, at the intersection of North Roan Street and Lambeth Court in what’s been called a road rage incident.

Young was ultimately indicted on a first-degree murder charge, and jury selection was set for July 13 with the trial scheduled to begin with opening statements July 16. He appeared Wednesday before Washington County Criminal Court Judge Lisa Rice with his attorney, Matthew Spivey, who requested the trial be rescheduled.

Rice granted the delay, but with upcoming trials and other court dates in the four-county judicial district the next full week on her calendar is in February. Now jury selection is set for Feb. 22 and the trial is scheduled for Feb. 25 through March 1. 

Johnson City police responded to the scene after Mijares’ teenage son waved down a passing motorist for help. The teen said he had witnessed Young shoot his father.

The youth told police he and his father were on their way for coffee at a nearby market when a green vehicle pulled out from Young’s driveway and pulled up close to his father’s vehicle as they drove from their residence on Lambeth Court toward North Roan Street. At some point, the green vehicle, later determined to be driven by Young, went around Mijares and pulled in front of him.

When both vehicles stopped at the stop sign at Lambeth Drive and North Roan, Jose Mijares got out of the vehicle and approached the car ahead of them. The teen said his father was going to talk to the driver about why he had cut in front of them.

The teenager told police he didn’t hear his father say anything, but saw the man in the green truck shoot his father. Mijares was shot in the chest and later died from his injury.

Young is free on a $100,000 bond while his case is pending.

Johnson City Press Videos