Man charged in North Johnson City roadway shooting indicted, charge increased to first-degree murder

Becky Campbell • Updated May 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM

A Washington County grand jury increased the severity of a murder charge against a Johnson City man accused of killing a man he allegedly cut off in traffic after that driver approached him.

Michael W. Young, 45, No. 4 Lambeth Court, was originally charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Jose Mijares, 45, shortly after 11 a.m. on Feb. 13. The grand jury returned an indictment charging Young with first-degree murder. The shooting happened the intersection of Lambeth Drive and North Roan Street. Mijares and his 14-year-old son, Jesus Mijares, had just left their residence, headed to a nearby Roadrunner for coffee, when Young drove up behind them, then around them and cut in front of Mijares’ vehicle.

Jesus Mijares testified at a preliminary hearing in March that his father got out of the vehicle and approached the car ahead of them after they stopped at the stop sign on Lambeth Drive. 

“He was going to talk to the dude … (ask) why he cut in front of us,” the teen said. Mijares said he didn’t hear his father say anything, but saw the man in the green truck shoot his father.

“He tried to get back in the car but he fell,” the teenager testified. “I got out of the truck and went to go check on him. I opened his jacket and there was a blood stain.”

Young is free on a $100,000 while his case is pending. He is schedule to appear in Criminal Court May 20.

In other action, the grand jury returned indictments on:

• Marcus S. Osburn, 43, 136 Charlie Dillow Road, Telford, on two counts of aggravated assault. Washington County Sheriff’s Deputy Jimmy Martin responded to a disturbance at Osburn’s residence around 4:30 p.m. Dec. 27 after Osburn and his ex-wife got into an argument about her taking their son to dinner. During the altercation, Osburn displayed a black rifle to the woman. She and the child retreated to the basement where she called 911 for help.

When the officer arrived, he entered a garage and ordered Osburn to show his hands, but Osburn cursed the officer and taunted him to “come and get me.” Osburn ran up a set of stairs and into the house. Martin was able to get the woman and child to safety and as he walked out of the garage, Osburn knocked out a window screen and continued to taunt the officer by saying, “you come and get me. I’ve got **** in here to take you out 500 yards away.”

Osburn retreated into the house, giving Martin an opportunity to get out of the garage and to safety. Other officers arrived at the scene and set up a perimeter around the house. The standoff between Osburn and officers lasted 2 1/2 hours before he surrendered. Even then, Osburn refused to follow directions and an officer used his Taser to subdue him.

• Elizabeth A. Trent, 52, 11 W. Valley Drive, Bristol, Va., on one count of forgery over $60,000. The charge stemmed from a $156,000 check, allegedly from a local attorney, that Trent attempted to use as a loan at Jim’s Motorcycle Sales in October. Johnson City police said the check was presented to the store as collateral and written on a TruPoint Bank account and endorsed with Johnson City attorney Steve Finney’s name.

Finney told police he received a call from Kirk Hayes with Jim’s Motorcycle Sales regarding the check. Hayes told Finney that Trent had been at the shop with a check signed by Finney from TruPoint for $156,000. She had given the store the check for a loan. Finney told Dillard he did not know Trent, did not have a TruPoint account and had not signed such a check.

While Jim’s Motorcycle Sales declined to press charges against Trent for the loan, police said, Finney pressed charges for the fraudulent signature.

• Gary E. Lady, 33, 150 Scott Road, on charges of reckless endangerment and possession of a prohibited weapon. Lady was arrested Feb. 20 after  Washington County Sheriff’s Deputy Michael Garmer responded to a possible domestic violence call at 124 Scott Road around 1 a.m. When Garmer arrived, he found Lady’s truck parked by the road at that location. Lady was lying through the back window of his truck with the top half of his body inside the cab and the lower half in the truck bed. Garmer also found a 3-year-old child in the cab of the truck. He removed the child and placed her in a secure location.

Garmer woke Lady up and smelled a strong odor of alcohol on the man. According to the court records, Lady was so intoxicated he was unable to get himself out of the truck without assistance from officers and EMS personnel who were called to assess his condition. Garmer made contact with the child’s mother, who arrived to take custody of the girl. The child’s mother said the girl had been dropped off with her father just hours earlier — around 4 p.m.— where he worked. 

• Richard Lynn Ferguson, 45, 1016 Old Gray Station Road, on charges of false imprisonment and theft over $1,000. According to court records, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office received an anonymous tip March 6 that Ferguson was holding his mother against her will at the residence. Officers went to the residence, but were unable to get anyone to answer the door. They went back the next day, but were still unable to find anyone. Later the same day, March 7, Ferguson apparently left the residence with his mother’s cell phone and $1,500 of her money, and she was able to call 911. 

The woman told officers she heard them knocking on her door, but her son threatened to kill her if she made any noise. She confirmed her son had held her captive for two days inside her home. 

• George W. Greene, 49, 4140 Old Jonesborough Road, Jonesborough, on charges of aggravated assault and violation of lifetime community supervision. The aggravated assault charge stemmed from an incident Jan. 26 at Greene’s residence involving Kathleen Sterling. She told officers that Greene struck her dog in the mouth so hard that two of the dog’s baby teeth fell out. Greene then went to the kitchen and returned with a knife and threatened to kill the woman, Sterling told officers. Sterling was able to get the knife away and lock Greene out of the apartment.

She eventually let him back in, but the argument continued and he tried to retrieve another kitchen knife. Sterling was able to stop Greene and told him to leave. He walked out of the apartment and she locked the door. Greene’s sister, who was on the phone with Sterling during parts of the argument, told officers she heard her brother threaten to kill Sterling.

The violation of lifetime supervision stemmed from Greene being arrested in December for slapping his girlfriend’s face over a spilled beer. He pleaded guilty to domestic assault and was placed on probation for 11 months, 29 days. Greene has an attempted aggravated rape conviction from 2005, which put him on lifetime community supervision. Part of the supervision requires Greene to obey all federal, state and municipal laws.

• Cody Allen Johnson, 33, 110 Wilson Ave. No. 1 and Jonathan Ashley Johnson, 28, 280 Pickens Bridge Road No. 1, on charges of vandalism over $1,000 and vandalism over $500. Johnson City police arrested the two after the tires were slashed on seven vehicles at Adams Auto Sales, 211 W. Main St., as well as on the vehicle of a citizen. The damage to the vehicles, which occurred Feb. 3, totaled more than $2,500. 

• Morland O. Whitely, 37, 210 W Locust St., on an aggravated assault charge, which stemmed from an incident Feb. 16 at Numan’s Café & Sports Bar, 225 E. Main St. According to court records, Whitely was asked to leave the bar several times, but refused to leave. He was accused of pulling out a knife and threatening a bouncer.

Johnson City Press Videos