UH boys prevail in OT: Lady Bucs break into win colulmn

Tanner Cook • Feb 7, 2020 at 11:28 PM

KINGSPORT — The University High boys basketball team ruined Sullivan North’s senior night on Friday night at J. Richard Carroll Gymnasium by rallying from a 15-point second-half deficit to win 68-61 in overtime.

The Bucs (13-10, 6-4) outscored their Watauga Valley Conference opponent 14-7 in the extra period, but it was the defense that held strong in the fourth.

Three UH players were in double figures as Marshall Fleenor led the way with 15 points while Kaleb Meredith and Matthew Carter each produced 14. Meredith topped his team in rebounds with nine.

Isaiah Pruitt had a game-high 20 points for Sullivan North (15-12, 4-6) and Christian Hill coupled 18 with eight boards.

“The first quarter really set the tone of the game,” University High head coach Herman Rice said. “North came out and had a great game plan. They played hard and they’re well-coached. We spent most of the halftime about not having intensity on defense.

“We challenged our seniors and told them this was their last time over here. They didn’t want this to be the way they went out. When we went back to man defense in the second half and our pressure tripled, that’s when we got back in the game.”

North scored the opening bucket of the fourth at 7:35, but did not score again until 2:48 left in the game. During that time frame, UH blew by North with a 13-0 run.

“We have one of the toughest schedules in Class A this season,” Rice said. “We’ve played several ranked teams in Tennessee, teams ranked in Virginia, the No. 2-ranked team in the country (Oak Hill). We did that to prepare our kids for these kinds of games and I think it paid off a little bit tonight.”


University High 44, Sullivan North 41

The first Lady Bucs win of the season came in dramatic fashion. University High (1-25, 1-9 WVC) trailed by as much as 11 points in the second half, but behind three 3-pointers by Ryleigh Owen, the Lady Bucs were able to get off the schneid.

“This is a huge weight off of our shoulders,” said first-year UH head coach Marty Story. “We don’t have the most experienced team, but we’re starting to learn how to do things correctly and be patient with the ball. We’re limiting our turnovers and giving ourselves a chance.”

Perhaps the game turned when North’s Lily Crawford received two technical fouls within a minute of each other — part of a run that put the Bucs behind by just two points (36-34) with 4:07 to go.

Owen hit a wide-open perimeter shot with 3:41 left to go to give UH its first lead of the game at 37-36.

After the Lady Raiders tied the game at 40 with three minutes left, Mauri Johnson’s pair of free throws with 1:21 left to go put the Lady Bucs up for good.

Owen led UH with 15 points while Delaney Trosin finished with 14.

Sahara Bates finished with 13 points to lead Sullivan North (6-18, 1-9).

“We’ve (hardly) been able to put two halves together all season,” Story said. “This was one of the first times all season that we were able to do that. It was a situation in which we learned from and for a team that hadn’t won a game to overcome a double-digit deficit and win is absolutely huge.”

Johnson City Press Videos