Johnson City Press Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Misheard lyrics, confusing conversations now can be attributed to hearing loss

January 27th, 2014 9:23 am by Jan Hearne

The music of our youth not only contributed to but prepared us for hearing loss.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Despite what we think when we’re young, it eventually happens

January 20th, 2014 9:47 am by Jan Hearne

It is payback time and then some for my teen ridicule of my mother’s memory lapses.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Madeleine the cat always takes everything in stride

January 13th, 2014 11:00 am by Jan Hearne

Madeleine has been my cat through two bouts of radiation treatment, which is astounding on two counts: I never thought she would live to be 18 and I never thought I would have to have radiation again.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

The ‘c’ word, feeling lucky and coping despite tinsel and lights

December 16th, 2013 9:15 am by Jan Hearne

Because I have long recognized the Universe has a strange sense of humor, I was not surprised when, as a writer, my fate hung on a conjunction.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Ronstadt’s music and love of singing provided an outlet for a 20-something’s emotions

December 9th, 2013 9:06 am by Jan Hearne

In high school, only one boy gave me his class ring. This cute, sweet boy wanted me to go steady.

Comments
Community Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Just what is Sadie? The DNA results are in

December 3rd, 2013 5:03 pm by Jan Hearne

As I opened it with great trepidation, I braced myself for the worst.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

We have so much to be grateful for

November 25th, 2013 2:06 pm by Jan Hearne

Several of my young Facebook friends — the children of my peers — have been keeping gratitude journals during the month of November. Each day they list a few things they are grateful for. It is touching to read their entries.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Reflecting on JFK, role television had the week after his death

November 18th, 2013 9:37 am by Jan Hearne

It is a late fall afternoon; I am in sixth grade. Sister Marie Therese, the principal, is on the intercom. “Will you get out of here?!,” she snaps at a student. We giggle. There is a pause, then she tells us the president has been shot.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Soon the great mystery will be solved: What is Sadie?

November 11th, 2013 9:51 am by Jan Hearne

We finally did it. My sister Sandi bought a doggie DNA test for Sadie, and I sent it off for analysis.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Gene fuels the desire for fashionable footwear

November 4th, 2013 12:00 am by Jan Hearne

Shoes. Women are supposed to be crazy for shoes, and it seems a lot of women are, particularly models and actresses and wives of dictators.

Comments