Johnson City Press Monday, September 1, 2014
Torturing shapewear' and mixed messages in newest O issue

Featured Story

Columns Out of My Head

Torturing shapewear' and mixed messages in newest O issue

April 21st, 2014 10:25 am by Jan Hearne

Really, Oprah? A corset? Are you kidding me?

Comments
Columns As I See It Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Troublemaker's visit makes for an exciting day at the museum

April 28th, 2014 10:39 am by Jan Hearne

In 1982, I worked as the director of a small county museum. After its grand opening, the board decided to admit everyone free of charge for the first week or so. We wanted to be the "people's museum" though the phrase had not yet been coined.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Are joys of this world a taste of what is to come?

April 14th, 2014 10:21 am by Jan Hearne

In the past months, I've spent a fair amount of time puzzling over what comes next. And though I have no idea when I will make that transition - as my doctor said, "No one can tell you exactly when that will be" - understandably it's been on my mind.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Once the book finally kicks in, Middlemarch' is relatable

April 7th, 2014 9:11 am by Jan Hearne

It appeared for a while The Book Club had bitten off more than it could chew: namely, George Eliot's "Middlemarch."

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Remembering Mrs. Walker, her almost pathological optimism

March 31st, 2014 8:58 am by Jan Hearne

The philodendron dripping down the side of my red bookcase is more than 50 years old now.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Conference taught more about people, than intended

March 24th, 2014 9:15 am by Jan Hearne

In the fall of 1982, I was a very green museum director at a small county museum. To bolster my skills, the board of directors sent me to a weeklong museum conference at Colonial Willamsburg in Virginia. I bought new clothes, and like Elle Woods in "Legal

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

A frightening tale I, luckily, lived to tell

March 10th, 2014 9:00 am by Jan Hearne

Not too long ago my sister asked, "Do you remember the night Bev (my eldest sister) almost shot you?"

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Apartment dwelling in Atlanta wasn't sophisticated or exciting

March 3rd, 2014 9:01 am by Jan Hearne

Perhaps I was being evasive but I did not make it clear in last week's column that I, like "Katie" and Troy, lived in an apartment. Not the same apartment complex - ours had fewer units, no tennis courts - but an apartment all the same.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Reflecting on adventures had, friends made as a teen

February 24th, 2014 9:17 am by Jan Hearne

When I was 14, I wanted to be Troy. First of all, she had a cool boy's name.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Snow doesn't bring the same magic as when we were children

Snow doesn't bring the same magic as when we were children

February 17th, 2014 9:17 am by Jan Hearne

The snow had been postponed. On Tuesday, it was scheduled to arrive Wednesday at 1 p.m. I planned my day around it.

Comments
Columns Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

We are who we are; we all live on the ‘if onlys’

February 10th, 2014 9:24 am by Jan Hearne

Today is the 50th anniversary of The Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan. That’s what I planned to write about and then Philip Seymour Hoffman died.

Comments