Johnson City Press Saturday, December 20, 2014
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Bill would help veterans attend college in Tennessee

November 11th, 2013 12:55 pm by Robert Houk

This nation has been at war for more than a decade now, and combat in Afghanistan and Iraq has meant multiple deployments for many of the men and women of our armed services.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

J.C. envy could lead to more ‘McMansions’ in Kingsport

November 4th, 2013 11:35 am by Robert Houk

Deciding how local government should best use its precious tax dollars always makes for a good debate.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Where have all the good candidates gone?

October 28th, 2013 10:30 am by Robert Houk

“Why can’t we get any good candidates to run for public office?” That’s a question I’ve heard often in recent years. It’s one that is sure to be asked next year when voters go to the polls to decide a number of important races for county, state and feder

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Dr. Hankal finally may be recognized by his hometown

October 20th, 2013 11:45 am by Robert Houk

It looks as if Dr. Hezekiah Hankal will finally get the recognition he so richly deserves. Hankal was one of the most brilliant and accomplished individuals ever to live in Washington County, but sadly there is no school, no government building or street

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Rep. Hill has found it’s not always easy being the boss

October 14th, 2013 8:49 am by Robert Houk

I’ve said it here before, but it bears repeating: It’s not easy being the boss. Lord knows state Rep. Matthew Hill, R-Jonesborough, can attest to that.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Government shutdown shows stuff happens

October 7th, 2013 8:58 am by Robert Houk

A number of Republicans have suggested their party could secure the moral high ground in the showdown over partial shutdown of the federal government if its members of Congress refuse their pay and challenge Democrats to do the same.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Obamacare, tracing pork and shrinking tax dollars

September 30th, 2013 9:10 am by Robert Houk

The idea of linking defunding Obamacare to passage of a stopgap spending bill has been called “silly” by U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Haslam pledges support for Huffman

September 23rd, 2013 9:06 am by Robert Houk

Like Tammy Wynette, Gov. Bill Haslam has promised to “stand by his man.”

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Ramsey has no regrets about tweet and no plans for Congress

September 16th, 2013 9:06 am by Robert Houk

You’ve got to hand it to Tennessee’s lieutenant governor for the way he uses social media to rattle partisan cages.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

All these laws come from individual concerns

September 3rd, 2013 10:36 am by Robert Houk

There ought to be a law. How many times have you heard that said?

Comments