Johnson City Press Friday, August 22, 2014
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Rep. Hill has found it’s not always easy being the boss

October 14th, 2013 8:49 am by Robert Houk

I’ve said it here before, but it bears repeating: It’s not easy being the boss. Lord knows state Rep. Matthew Hill, R-Jonesborough, can attest to that.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Government shutdown shows stuff happens

October 7th, 2013 8:58 am by Robert Houk

A number of Republicans have suggested their party could secure the moral high ground in the showdown over partial shutdown of the federal government if its members of Congress refuse their pay and challenge Democrats to do the same.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Obamacare, tracing pork and shrinking tax dollars

September 30th, 2013 9:10 am by Robert Houk

The idea of linking defunding Obamacare to passage of a stopgap spending bill has been called “silly” by U.S. Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Haslam pledges support for Huffman

September 23rd, 2013 9:06 am by Robert Houk

Like Tammy Wynette, Gov. Bill Haslam has promised to “stand by his man.”

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Ramsey has no regrets about tweet and no plans for Congress

September 16th, 2013 9:06 am by Robert Houk

You’ve got to hand it to Tennessee’s lieutenant governor for the way he uses social media to rattle partisan cages.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

All these laws come from individual concerns

September 3rd, 2013 10:36 am by Robert Houk

There ought to be a law. How many times have you heard that said?

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Thankfully tea party knows compromise really means selling out

August 26th, 2013 2:33 pm by Robert Houk

That Lamar Alexander is just so mean. It’s bad enough Tennessee’s senior U.S. senator has refused calls from the level-headed folks in the tea party for him to retire, now Alexander is raising a massive campaign war chest that’s bound to make the Republic

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Roe says House will not be rushed on immigration

August 19th, 2013 11:30 am by Robert Houk

With Congress on its summer break, U.S. Rep. Phil Roe, R-1st, took time Wednesday to stop by the Press to discuss important issues and talk a little politics.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Voting out ‘the bums’ often takes time and effort

August 12th, 2013 5:11 pm by Robert Houk

A reader called me recently to compliment us on printing an editorial cartoon.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

DeBerry was dedicated lawmaker and a ‘great lady’

August 5th, 2013 9:55 am by Robert Houk

The many comments I heard and read last week on the passing of former Tennessee House Speaker Pro-Tempore Lois DeBerry, D-Memphis, were heartfelt and very personal. Some of the most touching came from her Republican colleagues here in East Tennessee

Comments