Johnson City Press Thursday, October 30, 2014
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

GOP will use hot-button issues, Dems should as well

December 16th, 2013 9:18 am by Robert Houk

Prepare yourself, dear voter, because 2014 is going be a busy election year. There will be contests for governor, county offices and Congress on the ballot.

Comments
Columns As I See It
State House race could be a costly contest

State House race could be a costly contest

December 9th, 2013 9:02 am by Johnson City Press

The contest between state Rep. Matthew “Boss” Hill, R-Jonesborough, and former Johnson City Commissioner Phil Carriger could become the most expensive Republican Primary for a seat in the state House of Representatives ever waged in this area.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Recession had impact on local tax dollars

December 3rd, 2013 4:37 pm by Robert Houk

According to a recent report by the state Comptroller’s Office, local governments in Tennessee have managed to weather the Great Recession with few major financial setbacks. That doesn’t mean, however, it has been clear sailing.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Medicaid expansion is coming, but will the federal money flow into Tennessee?

November 25th, 2013 10:21 am by Robert Houk

Earlier this year, Gov. Bill Haslam turned down federal money to cover what was then expected to be an additional 180,000 state residents on TennCare.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Will wine bill be bottled up once again?

November 18th, 2013 9:33 am by Robert Houk

The president of the Tennessee Grocers & Convenience Store Association says his organization plans to stand by its man in the wine-in-grocery-store fight.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Bill would help veterans attend college in Tennessee

November 11th, 2013 12:55 pm by Robert Houk

This nation has been at war for more than a decade now, and combat in Afghanistan and Iraq has meant multiple deployments for many of the men and women of our armed services.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

J.C. envy could lead to more ‘McMansions’ in Kingsport

November 4th, 2013 11:35 am by Robert Houk

Deciding how local government should best use its precious tax dollars always makes for a good debate.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Where have all the good candidates gone?

October 28th, 2013 10:30 am by Robert Houk

“Why can’t we get any good candidates to run for public office?” That’s a question I’ve heard often in recent years. It’s one that is sure to be asked next year when voters go to the polls to decide a number of important races for county, state and feder

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Dr. Hankal finally may be recognized by his hometown

October 20th, 2013 11:45 am by Robert Houk

It looks as if Dr. Hezekiah Hankal will finally get the recognition he so richly deserves. Hankal was one of the most brilliant and accomplished individuals ever to live in Washington County, but sadly there is no school, no government building or street

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Rep. Hill has found it’s not always easy being the boss

October 14th, 2013 8:49 am by Robert Houk

I’ve said it here before, but it bears repeating: It’s not easy being the boss. Lord knows state Rep. Matthew Hill, R-Jonesborough, can attest to that.

Comments