Johnson City Press Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

VW vote shows how much Republicans hate unions

February 24th, 2014 9:14 am by Robert Houk

Top Republican officeholders in Tennessee hate unions. I mean they really hate unions.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Gov. Haslam doesn't have much of a fight, but he's losing support

Gov. Haslam doesn't have much of a fight, but he's losing support

February 17th, 2014 9:14 am by Robert Houk

Gov. Bill Haslam seems to be a pretty cheerful guy, and why shouldn't he be?

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Finally Hankal will receive some deserved rememberance

February 10th, 2014 9:19 am by Robert Houk

This is a very special Black History Month for Mary Alexander.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Legislative antics sure to land state in the spotlight

January 27th, 2014 9:27 am by Robert Houk

Let the countdown begin. When Tennessee lawmakers returned to work earlier this month, the Tennessee chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union launched a website to track the number of days it takes before the General Assembly once again makes the Vol

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Washington Co. sheriff’s race could be a wild one

January 20th, 2014 9:48 am by Robert Houk

Hot dang! We are going to have an old fashioned, knock ’em down sheriff’s race in Washington County this year.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Wine bill not most important proposal on Capitol Hill

January 13th, 2014 10:59 am by Robert Houk

The Tennessee General Assembly will reconvene this week, and as usual, there are a number of issues that will be carried over from past sessions.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Can you answer these questions about your government?

January 6th, 2014 3:23 pm by Robert Houk

The following quiz is specifically designed to see how much you know about local, state and federal governments.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

GOP will use hot-button issues, Dems should as well

December 16th, 2013 9:18 am by Robert Houk

Prepare yourself, dear voter, because 2014 is going be a busy election year. There will be contests for governor, county offices and Congress on the ballot.

Comments
Columns As I See It
State House race could be a costly contest

State House race could be a costly contest

December 9th, 2013 9:02 am by Johnson City Press

The contest between state Rep. Matthew “Boss” Hill, R-Jonesborough, and former Johnson City Commissioner Phil Carriger could become the most expensive Republican Primary for a seat in the state House of Representatives ever waged in this area.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Recession had impact on local tax dollars

December 3rd, 2013 4:37 pm by Robert Houk

According to a recent report by the state Comptroller’s Office, local governments in Tennessee have managed to weather the Great Recession with few major financial setbacks. That doesn’t mean, however, it has been clear sailing.

Comments