Johnson City Press Saturday, August 23, 2014
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Voters should question motives for targeting judges

May 27th, 2014 8:47 am by Robert Houk

Former Tennessee Supreme Court Justice Penny White knows all to well what can happen when outside groups use misinformation and intimidation to try to influence the outcome of a judicial election.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Moving city election date will save needed tax dollars

May 19th, 2014 9:22 am by Robert Houk

The last time I columnized on the idea of Johnson City moving its city elections from April to November, one of my favorite local curmudgeons contacted me and asked me why I continued to "beat that dead horse."

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Frugality pays off for Treadway in GOP primary

May 12th, 2014 8:49 am by Robert Houk

The winner of Tuesday's Republican Primary for trustee in Washington County ran one of the most frugal and surprisingly successful campaigns ever waged for a local office.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

What if?' is a game best played close to Election Day

May 5th, 2014 9:44 am by Robert Houk

Political pundits and campaign handicappers often play the "What if?" game. It's purely an exercise in speculation, sometimes sprinkled with thoughtful analysis and a dash of historical background. Here's what I am talking about:

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Church at the jail, Boss Hill's fundraising and other notes of the week

April 28th, 2014 10:45 am by Robert Houk

This week, a few notes from a political pundit's notebook. I'll begin with the Republican Primary for Washington County sheriff.

Comments
Columns As I See It Out of My Head
Jan Hearne

Troublemaker's visit makes for an exciting day at the museum

April 28th, 2014 10:39 am by Jan Hearne

In 1982, I worked as the director of a small county museum. After its grand opening, the board decided to admit everyone free of charge for the first week or so. We wanted to be the "people's museum" though the phrase had not yet been coined.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Johnson City resident, they're your county offices, too

April 21st, 2014 10:24 am by Robert Houk

Back in October, I noted that many Johnson City residents mistakenly ignore county elections.

Comments
News Local News Outdoors As I See It
Where's BooBoo? Bear trap placed in city to be removed, for now, due to inactivity

April 15th, 2014 11:14 am by Staff Reports

For the past several days, TWRA officials have been attempting to trap a black bear that has reportedly been causing problems around the North North Street and Sherwood Forest area of Johnson City.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Any effort to disenfranchise voters is a bad move

April 14th, 2014 10:17 am by Robert Houk

Early voting begins Wednesday to pick GOP candidates for a number of contested county government and courthouse offices in Washington County.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

The closing of public records is not good news for public

April 7th, 2014 9:11 am by Robert Houk

Balancing the public's right to know and personal privacy is not an easy job. It is something we in the news business struggle with every day.

Comments