Johnson City Press Monday, November 24, 2014
Bush's 1988 visit was one for the textbooks

Featured Story

Columns As I See It

Bush's 1988 visit was one for the textbooks

November 24th, 2014 9:20 am by Staff Report

Back then, candidates truly rubbed elbows with regular folks on the campaign trail.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

The new state Senate is nothing like the old days

November 17th, 2014 2:25 pm by Robert Houk

There were certainly partisan divides two decades ago, but nothing like the acrimony seen on Capitol Hill today.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Best practices' needed for state child care services

November 10th, 2014 11:42 am by Robert Houk

Gov. Bill Haslam will continue to have a problem convincing members of the Republican-controlled state General Assembly that Common Core is not a President Obama-hatched plot to turn our schoolchildren into Islamic terrorists.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Challenger says Alexander not showing his true self

November 3rd, 2014 9:46 am by Robert Houk

For many weeks now, U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander has been telling Tennessee voters that if they elect Gordon Ball, the Democrat will be "one more vote for Obama."

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

A few ponderings on paid lobbyists and elected judges

October 29th, 2014 4:39 pm by Robert Houk

Does the city of Johnson City really need a paid lobbyist on Capitol Hill?

Comments
Columns As I See It
Constitutional amendments ignore legislative restraint

Constitutional amendments ignore legislative restraint

October 20th, 2014 11:46 am by Robert Houk

It should never be easy to change the state's Constitution.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Merrill Moore was truly one of a kind

October 13th, 2014 10:50 am by Robert Houk

In addition to being a true professional, family and friends also knew him as a kind and generous soul.

Comments
Columns As I See It Opinion Election 2014
Robert Houk

The new Lamar Alexander wants to get things done'

October 6th, 2014 11:44 am by Robert Houk

Meet the new Lamar Alexander. He's much more conservative than the older model, who was conservative enough for most Tennesseans way back in the day.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

More green spaces, public art needed for Johnson City

September 29th, 2014 8:58 am by Robert Houk

Who would ever think of sandblasting the old Coke ad from the side of the building on Tipton Street?

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Cordell Hull doesn't get his due in Tennessee

September 24th, 2014 10:50 am by Robert Houk

Perhaps it's because the Democrat was the creator of the federal income tax, or maybe it's because he championed the formation of the United Nations.

Comments
Columns As I See It Opinion
Robert Houk

Tax rates go up as property values shrink

September 15th, 2014 12:01 pm by Robert Houk

It will soon be property tax collection time again in Tennessee. Local governments typically send out their tax bills in early October, but some (including Washington County) might be mailing those notices a bit later this year.

Comments