Johnson City Press Thursday, July 31, 2014
Question is: How low can Matthew Hill go?

Featured Story

Columns As I See It

Question is: How low can Matthew Hill go?

July 21st, 2014 9:46 am by Robert Houk

Many think Boss Hill has really outdone himself with a political mailer linking his challenger to President Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

Comments
As I See It Opinion
Robert Houk

City vote key in state House race

July 29th, 2014 9:09 am by Robert Houk

Early voting numbers so far suggest we might have a decent turnout for the Aug. 7 election. By decent, I mean one that surpasses most of the turnouts for other elections with local offices on the ballot.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Deceitful politicians undermine the election process

July 15th, 2014 11:02 am by Robert Houk

During this campaign season, we will get a good dose of career politicians who will say anything and do just about anything to get re-elected.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Alas, we may never see another like Howard Baker

July 1st, 2014 10:44 am by Robert Houk

Baker truly believed in statesmanship, bipartisanship and civility. Those weren't just words to Baker - he practiced what he preached.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Rep. Phil Roe's fourth bid for Congress may not be his last

June 26th, 2014 3:51 pm by Robert Houk

How long does Roe plan to remain in Congress?

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Is Lamar about to be a Tea Party victim?

June 19th, 2014 8:58 am by Robert Houk

Anyone who has seen the two on the stump knows Joe Carr is barely a Padawan, while Alexander is a full-fledged Jedi.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Tax hike is not inevitable - not yet at least

June 9th, 2014 8:53 am by Robert Houk

Johnson City leaders appear to be moving toward a property tax hike. Recent hearings on the city's new budget have been full of fiscal doom and gloom. Tears of woe have drenched the walls of the Municipal and Safety Building.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

1990 write-in campaign for Senate still memorable

June 2nd, 2014 8:48 am by Robert Houk

Carter County will be the battleground for four write-in campaigns for county offices in August, including one for sheriff. Regardless of how the race between Republican nominee Dexter Lunceford and incumbent Chris Mathes turns out, this race for sheriff

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Voters should question motives for targeting judges

May 27th, 2014 8:47 am by Robert Houk

Former Tennessee Supreme Court Justice Penny White knows all to well what can happen when outside groups use misinformation and intimidation to try to influence the outcome of a judicial election.

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Moving city election date will save needed tax dollars

May 19th, 2014 9:22 am by Robert Houk

The last time I columnized on the idea of Johnson City moving its city elections from April to November, one of my favorite local curmudgeons contacted me and asked me why I continued to "beat that dead horse."

Comments
Columns As I See It
Robert Houk

Frugality pays off for Treadway in GOP primary

May 12th, 2014 8:49 am by Robert Houk

The winner of Tuesday's Republican Primary for trustee in Washington County ran one of the most frugal and surprisingly successful campaigns ever waged for a local office.

Comments