Report: Man involved in 13-hour standoff with Johnson City police punched neighbor

Becky Campbell • Apr 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM

A 13-hour standoff between Johnson City police and an armed convicted felon that started as a domestic assault ended peacefully Tuesday morning when the man finally agreed to leave his residence off Watauga Road and surrender.

Police Chief Mark Sirois said Carson Garrett, 30, came out of the residence at 1225 Snowden Terrace around 10:15 a.m. Garrett, a convicted felon with a violent criminal past, was charged with aggravated domestic assault and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

The victim, Jayna Davis, and her 6-year-old son, who had remained in the house throughout the standoff, had been escorted to a “secure location,” Sirois said. Investigators had not determined whether Davis was held against will or exactly what the domestic situation involved. But a police report on the incident, filed later Tuesday, indicated that Garrett “refused to come out and would not let (the) victim come out.”

Sirois said that Davis “fled from the home early in the incident and went to a neighbor’s home and the neighbor called 911,” Sirois said. Davis returned to her residence at that time.

According to a police report, Davis told the neighbor that Garrett put her in a head lock, choked her three times and dragged her on the carpet in the house.

The witness told police he saw carpet burns on Davis’ arms.

“She also told him that the suspect punched a wall inside the house and put a hole in the wall,” according to the report, filed by Officer Bill Hammer.

Davis also reportedly told the neighbor she was afraid to call for police help because Garrett had threatened to kill officers. She asked the neighbor to go back to the house with her, so he did.

“When they went to the back of the house (the) suspect came out on the deck and they had words,” Hammer wrote. “(The) suspect jumped off the deck and hit (the neighbor) with his fist.”

That’s when Davis ran back to the front of the house and Garrett kicked in the door, went inside and closed it behind them, according to the report.

The chief said Garrett’s felony conviction in California involved violence but he did not know specifics.

Police responded to a call just after 9 p.m. Monday regarding domestic violence between a man and a woman. The neighbor called in the incident after seeing the woman in distress.

“When we arrived and officers began their investigation, it was determined that a female resident was assaulted by a male resident,” Sirois said around 9 a.m. Tuesday.

“Both are in the residence and have been since that time,” he said.

Officers were in telephone contact with both the man and the woman, both of whom had refused to leave the house. A “very young child” also was in the residence, the chief said.

“We called out S.W.A.T., and when we do that, we call out hostage negotiators,” Sirois said, adding that he did not consider the standoff a hostage situation.

“We have reason to believe there are weapons involved,” he said.

The man and woman were reportedly in a relationship, Sirois said, but he was not sure about their marital status.

Initially police asked residents to remain inside their homes while the situation progressed, but as the incident stretched into Tuesday morning, officers assisted them to and from their homes in travels to school and work, the chief said.

A Washington County/Johnson City EMS unit was also on standby in the area while police dealt with the couple. The ambulance left the scene and officers began to return to their vehicles and retire their riot gear shortly after Garrett surrendered.

Garrett was being held on a $60,000 bond and will be arraigned on the charges in Washington County Sessions Court today.

Recommended for You