no avatar

Updated: Washington County Sheriff's captain stabbed twice in hand by registered sex offender

Staff Report • Sep 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

A Washington County Sheriff’s Office captain was poked twice with a knife Friday as deputies and FBI agents tried to subdue a man during a search of his residence.

Capt. Larry Denny suffers a minor cut on his left hand while arresting Ray D. Sluss, 48, 180 Shannon View Road, according to a court document.

Denny and two other Washington County deputies had gone to Sluss’ residence to assist the Tennessee Department of Correction and the FBI about 12:30 p.m. on Friday.

Deputy Michael Webb reported that he was in the garage portion of the basement about 1 p.m. while agents were interviewing Sluss when he heard an investigator shout, “Drop the knife,” and saw him reach for his gun. The investigator called for Webb and Denny to come with a Taser.

As he entered the room, Webb saw Sluss with the knife in his left hand. Denny used his Taser, but Sluss continued to hold the knife and broke the wires on Denny’s Taser. Webb used his Taser, as well, but Sluss removed the probe from his chest.

Deputies “drive stunned” Sluss and took him to the ground, Webb said in the court record, but Sluss stabbed Denny twice on the hand and tried stabbing Webb. Denny finally was able to remove the knife from Sluss’ hand.

Denny’s injury was minor and he was working on Tuesday.

Sluss was charged with two counts of assault on an officer and one count of resisting arrest. He was jailed without bond in the Washington County Detention Center pending a Sessions Court appearance Tuesday afternoon.

Sluss was convicted in 2002 of aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's sex offender registry website.

Sluss was charged with 71 counts of aggravated sexual exploitation of a minor and one count of especially aggravated exploitation of a minor. Authorities said at the time more than 3,000 pornographic images of children were found on the hard drive of Sluss’ computer and on floppy discs. Some of the children appeared to be less than 1 year old.Sluss also was disseminating the material through his own Web site, authorities said at the time.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos