Tree Streets resident charged with shooting up South Roan garage

Becky Campbell • Aug 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM

A Locust Street man accused of shooting into a South Roan Street business near his residence last week was arraigned on four counts of aggravated assault Monday.

Jack H. Johnson, 26, 210 W. Locust St., appeared in Washington County General Sessions Court where Judge Robert Lincoln informed him of the charges and appointed a public defender to represent him.

Johnson was arrested Saturday after Johnson City police received information about where he could be found and passed that along to Washington County sheriff’s deputies, who then served the warrant.

• Click here for court documents regarding Johnson's charges.

The shooting incident occurred early Tuesday morning at the garage at 1109 S. Roan St. According to a report and the arrest warrant, police were called about 12:45 a.m. to a neighboring residence at 1205 Division St., where Tammy Johnson told police she was in the back room of a business when she heard people talking near the window and walked toward the front doors when the shots went off.

Tammy Johnson said she took cover and went to get her husband, Dwayne, who was in the shower.

Police said Richard Stiltner and Mark Vaughan were also in the business and reported that Dwayne Johnson, Stiltner and Vaughan had all had interaction with a man — who was not named in the original report — and his girlfriend, who had come into the business. The two were reportedly fighting.

“The victims stated that they have been having problems with Jack Johnson since domestic disturbances between Johnson and his girlfriend (occurred),” police said in the warrant. The victims had offered assistance to the woman, the warrant states.

Dwayne Johnson told police the man had said he didn’t “appreciate him meddling in his affairs” and had threatened to shoot out the windows about a week prior to the incident.

In a news release issued Monday morning, police said three bullets penetrated a window. One round was lodged inside a large speaker, a second penetrated the speaker and a third traveled through a living area and out a window on the opposite side of the room.

Police said the victims they had encountered numerous disturbances involving Jack Johnson, which had been documented by the Johnson City Police Department. According to the arrest warrant, city police responded to the business on July 24 and ordered Jack Johnson to leave the property. On Aug. 9, Jack Johnson’s girlfriend told police he had followed her to the business.

A short time before the shots were fired, Officer Dennis Higgins, who was familiar with Jack Johnson, reported seeing him in the area of the shooting. A witness told police he had been in the company of Jack Johnson minutes before the shooting and also placed him at the scene.

Lincoln reduced Jack Johnson’s bond from $80,000 to $50,000 and set a court hearing on Aug. 26 at 9 a.m.

Related article:

Police investigate shots fired at business

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos