Woman charged in man’s death released on bond

Becky Campbell • Jul 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

A Johnson City woman who police say stabbed her boyfriend after they drank together and had a political argument earlier this month is now free on bond.

Elizabeth Ann Archer, 30, posted a $50,000 bond last week after a preliminary hearing in her case. She’s charged with second-degree murder in the stabbing death of Jeremy Mounts, 29.

It happened July 9 at 306 E. Chestnut St., the residence the couple shared with Archer’s brother.

Archer’s case was bound over to a Washington County grand jury after a judge heard evidence in the case and determined there was probable cause to believe Archer killed Mounts.

According to court documents, Archer, Mounts and her brother, John Archer, all had three shots of vodka that night to celebrate a new job for John Archer and his moving to Virginia. The three had a conversation that included a political debate which ended with them “agreeing to disagree.”

Around 10:30 or 11 p.m., Mounts took a shower and he and Archer went to bed, she told police.

“She said that they could not quite turn loose of their discussion or debate from earlier and their arguing continued in bed. She said the argument turned physical in bed with both ending up on the floor,” Investigator Joey Whitlock wrote in a court affidavit.

Archer told police that Mounts got on top of her, held her down by the throat and choked her. She said she was able to get away and then Mounts left the bedroom and went to John Archer’s bedroom. She followed Mounts, but on the way stopped in the kitchen to retrieve a knife.

As they stood in a bedroom doorway, Archer said she confronted Mounts and told him he needed to get out of the house.

“She said it was unclear at that point as to what happened, but she does know that she stabbed Jeremy Mounts one time in the lower right side. She said she had been in nursing school and knew to apply pressure to the wound until help arrived,” Whitlock wrote in the document.

Mounts was transported to Johnson City Medical Center, where he died during surgery.

Archer had originally been held on $100,000 bond, but that was reduced at last week’s hearing. She has a court appearance in Criminal Court in September.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos