no avatar

Johnson City father jailed on abuse charge after hospital reports bruising on 18-day-old child

Staff Report • Jul 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM

A Johnson City man accused with his wife of abusing their 18-day-old girl was arrested Wednesday.

Mark Vincent Kendall, 40, was charged with child abuse and neglect resulting from the May 17 incident reported at Johnson City Medical Center.

Both Kendall and his wife, 29-year-old Melissa G. Hyatt-Kendall, 111 Roseview Drive, Apt. 19, were accused in the case after hospital staff members reported bruising all over the infant’s body.

Hyatt-Kendall was arrested in late May, but her husband was in the Sullivan County Jail on unrelated charges at the time.

After his release Wednesday, Johnson City police took him into custody. He was jailed in the Washington County Detention Center on $10,000 bond awaiting arraignment Friday.

Police said the incident began at 110 Wilson Ave., Apt. 1. The Kendalls took the child to Johnson City Medical Center on May 15, but the child’s injuries were not consistent with the reasons Hyatt-Kandall gave the hospital’s medical staff, police said at the time.

The hospital’s staff noticed the infant had bruising all over her body, including her buttocks, genitals, thigh, chest, arms and abdomen. While treating the infant, nurses also discovered a torn frenulum — the webbing under the tongue — and a small puncture wound on the palm of each hand, according to court documents.

After treatment, a pediatrician reported that no medical condition was present that would cause bruising or any of the other injuries.

Police said in a court document that the parents came to the JCPD headquarters for an interview and told investigators they took the child to the hospital because of a rash on her chest they thought had been caused by laundry detergent residue left in a bathtub. Neither parent told police about noticing bruising or other injuries. They said they were the child’s only caregivers.

During Hyatt-Kendall’s arraignment May 23, Judge James Nidiffer increased the woman’s bond to $100,000. It was previously set at $10,000, but Assistant District Attorney General Julie Hays asked for the increase based on the allegations.

In April 2012, Kendall was charged with assaulting his previous wife. Police had gone to Timbers North Apartments about 11:30 p.m. Saturday and found Ginger Begley-Kendall, 38, walking down Timberlake Road near Mikapea Drive. She told officers she had been arguing with her husband about issues with friends when the argument turned physical.

Begley-Kendall said her husband grabbed her by the hair and then by the throat, choking her before slamming her into a wall. He then threw her down a brick walkway, where she suffered a cut on her left palm.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos