ETSU president posts 1st video on campus website since injury in Johnson City crash

Nathan Baker • Dec 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

East Tennessee State University President Brian Noland thanked members of the community for their support in a video posted on the college’s website Tuesday, giving the public its first look at his recovery after a November car crash.

Filmed in Shelbridge, the Johnson City home reserved for ETSU’s president and his family, Noland, wearing a brace to keep his head and neck stationary, said he hopes to return to conducting business on campus in January.

“Well, I have this lovely little neck brace on, and I can stand, I can walk, I do have full-range of motion,” he said, as he stood from a seated position. “I am going to make a full recovery.”

Scroll down to see video.

The post was the first installment of Noland’s “From My Notepads” video address since he was injured in a Nov. 18 crash at the intersection of West Watuaga Avenue and West Market Street.

“That accident has, in many respects, brought my semester to a close, but it’s not brought the work of the institution to a close,” the president said. “Our faculty, our staff, our administrative team, led by Dr. Wilsie Bishop, has continued to make the institution move forward, and we’re now approaching the close of the semester, where this weekend, we’ll graduate another class of students.”

Due to his injuries, Noland won’t be able to participate in this weekend’s graduation commencement, but ETSU spokesman Joe Smith said he did record a video that will be played at the ceremony.

In the video, the president thanked the university’s faculty, staff and students for the cards and flowers sent to him during his recuperation, joking that the interior of Shelbridge is beginning to resemble a florist’s shop.

In his absence, ETSU Chief Operating Officer Wilsie Bishop has assumed Noland’s administrative duties, as she did under former President Paul Stanton.

Bishop said two weeks ago that she is conversing with the president daily to keep him abreast of campus business and to confer with him on major decisions.

Noland was hospitalized for nearly a week after his SUV was struck by a rollback tow truck as he was crossing the intersection.

The president’s vehicle then struck a utility pole, and the wrecker struck a tree off the roadside.

The driver of the truck was given a citation for running the red light and given 10 days to address his driver’s license status.

Earlier report posted at 4:09 p.m. Tuesday

East Tennessee State University President Brian Noland posted a video to the university's website today — his first official public appearance since he was seriously injured in a car crash Nov. 18.

The video appears below.

Noland was injured in a late-afternoon crash Nov. 18 at the intersection of West Watauga Avenue and West Market Street.

In the president’s absence, administrative duties have fallen to ETSU Chief Operating Officer Wilsie Bishop, who has served as designated second in command since 2005, when she was hired under then-President Paul Stanton.

Keep visiting JohnsonCityPress.com for more details on this developing story.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos