Fire causes Elizabethton Wendy's evacuation

John Thompson • Dec 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

ELIZABETHTON — A fire in a heating and air conditioning unit on the roof of the Wendy's Restaurant on Broad St. was quickly extinguished by the Elizabethton Fire Department on Wednesday afternoon.

Fire Chief Barry Carrier said the fire spread through the duct work, but did not damage the building. He said the firefighters used less than a hundred gallons of water to extinguish the fire.

While the fire was small, Carrier said, there was a lot of smoke.

Customers became aware of the fire when the heavy smoke quickly filled the dining room. The customers remained calm and quickly exited. Fire trucks showed up just a couple of minutes later.

Carrier said firefighters disconnected the electricity to the damaged unit but left the power on for the coolers and freezers so the food would remain safe. He said the restaurant's dining room should be open within a day or two.

Restaurant management said a maintenance team was dispatched within an hour of the fire to repair and clean the dining room. The drive-thru was expected to be open within hours after the fire.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos