Sheriff Ed Graybeal announced the completion of the project Wednesday.
According to Graybeal, 16 detectors have been installed in the jail. The cost of the project was less than $10,000.
Carbon monoxide was released into two cell blocks one Saturday in late June. Fifty-one inmates were housed there at the time. The carbon monoxide was released when a gas-powered water heater was not burning properly and vents designed to open when the heater operated did not open. This caused the carbon monoxide to be recirculated into the ventilation.
Dozens of inmates were sickened from the invisible, odorless gas.
In addition to the inmates, one detention officer became ill and was treated with oxygen at the jail. One inmate was unconscious during the incident and was taken to Johnson City Medical Center for treatment.
Jail administrators began immediately looking for a carbon monoxide detection system after this incident.
The system that was installed is connected to existing fire alarms and can be monitored from a central control room.
Jail gets carbon monoxide detectors