Johnson City Press Saturday, October 25, 2014
Regional & National

Pentagon: US concedes mistakes in Pakistani deaths

December 22nd, 2011 10:26 am by LOLITA BALDOR

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon's top spokesman says U.S. forces had "misunderstandings" in connection with a NATO attack last month that killed two-dozen Pakistani troops and further strained relations between Washington and Islamabad.

George Little tells reporters at the Pentagon that American troops thought they were under attack and he says they responded appropriately in that setting. The Defense Department was holding a news conference to brief reporters on the results of a Pentagon investigation of the incident.

Brig. Gen. Stephen Clark, an Air Force special operations who lead the investigation, says the U.S. force actually "uncovered a considerable cache" of weapons in connection with the ill-fated operation.

comments powered by Disqus