John M. Reed Nursing Home in Limestone was partially evacuated because of smoke in the kitchen area late Monday afternoon.
According to emergency radio transmissions, the kitchen area was filling with smoke just after 5:30 p.m. Lt. Brandon Archer of the Limestone Volunteer Fire Department said a crew determined that the smoke resulted from an air conditioning unit that had burned out. No flames were found, and the crew cut power to the air conditioning unit, stopping the smoke.
Firefighters opened doors to ventilate the area. The nursing home was able to halt evacuation and return residents to their rooms, Archer said.
The crew was on the scene about an hour.