Johnson City Press Thursday, July 2, 2015
Local News

Fight on West Market leads to arrest; charges pending against 2

August 2nd, 2011 6:57 am by Staff Report

A fight on West Market Street prompted Johnson City police to arrest a Kentucky Street man Monday, and charges were pending against two others.
Earl Thomas Mitchell III, 30, 810 Kentucky St., was charged with aggravated assault after the incident at Jim's Motorcycle Sales, 1211 W. Market St.
Police said in a news release the investigation revealed that a man had been assaulted by three males at the shop, causing "moderate" injury. The victim, identified in a police report as Anthony A. Overstreet, 21, was taken to Johnson City Medical Center for treatment.
Mitchell was stopped in a vehicle witnesses to the fight said left the scene, police said, and charges against two other suspects were pending further investigation.
According to a report, police were called to the shop about 10:15 p.m. about a fight in progress, and 911 dispatchers reported that three vehicles were leaving the scene. Police spotted a gray Volkswagen Golf traveling on West Market Street without lights.
At the scene, police found Overstreet bleeding from his face and having trouble staying awake. Several witnesses told police that three male assailants had attacked Overstreet. The witnesses told police the fight started because one of the attackers thought Overstreet had been "running his mouth." The assailants attacked Overstreet from behind, hit him and kicked him, the witnesses told police.
Overstreet suffered moderate head trauma, a dislocated shoulder and several scrapes, scratches and bruises, police said in the report. Overstreet was listed in fair condition at JCMC on Tuesday.
Witnesses told police one of the attackers drove off in a white Cavalier and intentionally struck a female victim. Police said she received minor injuries but did not identify her in the report.
After stopping the Volkswagen, police took one of the witnesses to the vehicle, and he identified Mitchell as one of the people who attacked Overstreet, police said.
Mitchell told police he had been at the fight but was not involved and did not know who had attacked Overstreet because it was too dark, police said in the report.
Mitchell had two children with him during the fight, police said, and the Department of Children's Services placed them with an aunt.
Police had two other suspects in the case, and charges were pending until Overstreet could view a photo lineup, police said in the report.
Mitchell was jailed in the Washington County Detention Center on $50,000 bond pending a Sessions Court appearance Aug. 8.

comments powered by Disqus