Johnson City Press Sunday, September 21, 2014

Follow me on:


News Crime Local News Elizabethton

Former EHS coach accused of indecent exposure

August 25th, 2014 9:05 pm by Becky Campbell

Former EHS coach accused of indecent exposure

Justin Conway

Elizabethton High School’s swim coach resigned from his job last week, just two days before his arrest on indecent exposure charges in Johnson City, although he apparently talked to his athletic director in July about leaving the school system.

Justin T. Conway, 25, 142 Bishop Circle, Elizabethton, was arrested Tuesday for incidents that allegedly occurred earlier this month. According to court documents in the cases, Conway asked the victims — both adult women — for directions to West Walnut Street and then revealed his groin area to them.

Until Aug. 17, Conway had been the EHS swim coach since August 2011.

School Superintendent Ed Alexander said Conway recently received his master’s degree in education and notified the athletic director by email in July he was seeking a full-time teaching position and would no longer be coaching.

Conway had also served as the manager for the Elizabethton city pool this past season and was suspended from that position after the city became aware of the charges against him in Washington County.

The first incident occurred Aug. 1 but wasn’t reported until Aug. 17 when it happened a second time to the same woman. When an officer responded to the area of Bert Street and Dyer Street, the 48-year-old victim reported that she was out walking Aug. 1 when a man in a small gray car pulled up near her and asked for directions to West Walnut Street.

While the two were talking, the man — later identified as Conway — pulled out his penis and began masturbating. The woman ran off and was unable to get the tag number on the car. On Aug. 17, the same woman was out walking again when the same gray car pulled up and the man driving asked her for directions to Walnut Street.

The woman told police she acted like she was getting directions on her phone when she was, in fact, calling 911. She also told the responding officer that the same man had done the same thing to friends of hers in the Keystone area.

The second warrant indicates another woman was a victim of Conway’s on Aug. 5. It happened around 6:40 p.m., when the 37-year-old victim was sitting on her porch and a small gray car stopped and the driver asked for directions to Walnut Street.

She told police the man kept asking questions of her and she approached the car. At that time, the man pulled the leg of his shorts aside and displayed his penis and testicles and began playing with them, according to the police report.

The woman told police she told the man to go to McDonald’s or Dairy Queen for directions, then went inside and called 911.

Conway was developed as a suspect and the woman identified him from a photo lineup.

Conway is free on $2,000 bond and has a court hearing scheduled Sept. 11.

Follow Becky Campbell on Twitter @CampbellinCourt. Like her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BeckyCampbellJCPress.

comments powered by Disqus