1. WHO ASKS FOR 'DAY OF SILENCE' TODAY
The father of Michael Brown, the black 18-year-old shot to death by a white police officer in Missouri, sends out a plea for peace as he lays his son to rest.
2. 6.0 CALIFORNIA QUAKE CAUSES INJURIES, POWER OUTAGES
The largest earthquake to hit the San Francisco Bay Area in 25 years sends scores of people to hospitals, sparks fires, damages historic buildings and knocks out power to thousands of homes and businesses.
3. U.S. JOURNALIST HELD BY AL-QAIDA-LINKED GROUP RELEASED
Peter Theo Curtis of Massachusetts is freed less than a week after the horrific beheading of American journalist James Foley by Islamic militants.
4. OBAMA RETURNS FROM VACATION TO NEW CRISES
The president, who spent 15 days in Martha's Vineyard, faces new challenges in Ukraine and Missouri, as well as the growing threat of Islamic militants in Iraq and Syria.
5. WHY ISRAEL'S LEADER TRIES TO LINK HAMAS, IRAQ EXTREMISTS
Israel's prime minister tries to capitalize on the gruesome video of an American journalist's beheading by the Islamic State extremist group, saying Hamas is an equally vicious foe.
6. E-CIGARETTES MAY BE LAST RESORT TO HELP SMOKERS QUIT
The American Heart Association wants tighter regulations on popular nicotine-vapor products but says they could help people stop smoking eventually.
7. HOW HOTELS ARE RAKING UP THE FEES
Guests are being charged for many services like early check-in, bed-type guarantee and even luggage storage.
8. WHAT THREATENS $9B FLORIDA CITRUS INDUSTRY
Blame a mottled brown bug no bigger than a pencil eraser and a disease called "the yellow dragon."
9. PEDIATRICIANS: BACK TO SCHOOL BETTER WITH LATER START TIMES
The American Academy of Pediatricians says delaying classes till at least 8:30 a.m. would help curb lack of sleep for teens which is linked to poor grades, bad health and even car crashes.
10. BEYONCE DAZZLES AT THE MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS
The diva closed the show with a 20-minute performance in a night where Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and Eminem took home trophies.comments powered by Disqus