Many local organizations and venues will have special events and services to honor those who’ve died to protect the citizens of our country. Below is a listing of events that will happen around the Johnson City area with contact information included for those who seek more details:
• 3rd Annual Memorial Day Ceremony: Happy Valley Memorial Park, Elizabethton, will host a ceremony to honor servicemen and servicewomen who have given their lives to protect the country. It will take place at Monday at 10 a.m., at the cemetery where more than 2,400 military veterans are buried and feature guest speaker Garry Edwards. For more information, visit www.happyvalleymemorial.com.
• 30th Annual Veterans Musical Tribute: A reception will follow musical entertainment provided by the Johnson City Community Concert Band at the 30th Annual Veterans Musical Tribute on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. It will be hosted by the Jonesborough Board of Mayor and Alderman and Jonesborough Veterans Affairs Committee at the Jonesborough Visitors Center. More information can be obtained at 753-1010.
• Memorial Day Weekend at Roan Mountain State Park: An entire weekend of events is planned at Roan Mountain State Park. They kicked off Thursday night and will run through Saturday. Among other things, there will be a Wings Air Rescue helicopter landing, bicycle safety demonstration, a Raven Rock hike, a meet and greet with snakes, a dog hike, a performance by Tommy Shortt at the amphitheater, Sounds of the Night, a salamander hunt, Hike the Balds, a performance by Art Lang at the Miller Farmstead and a campground campfire. Call the park at 772-0190 for more information.
• Jonesborough Yarn Exchange Memorial Holiday: The International Storytelling Center will feature Jonesborough’s original storytelling radio hour on Memorial Day at 7 p.m., and will have a variety of performances and activities for those of all ages. There will be stories, skits, songs centered on veterans, their families and experiences of those in the U.S. armed forces. A limited amount of tickets will be available for $5 adults and $3 for children. They can be purchased at the door the night of the event, at the Historic Jonesborough Visitors Center or online at www.jonesboroughtheatre.com
• Johnson City Symphony Memorial Day Weekend Concert: Music director and conductor Robert J. Seebacher will oversee the Johnson City Symphony Orchestra’s “Sounds of Freedom” concert at 3:30 p.m. at the Mary B. Martin Auditorium in Seeger Chapel at Milligan College. It will feature performances of “God Bless the USA,” “Semper Fidelis March,” “America the Beautiful,” the “1812 Overture” and more. This performance is free more information can be found by calling the JCSO at 926-8742.
• Mountain Home Memorial Day Program The Veterans Affairs campus will have a Memorial Day Observance Program on Monday at 11 a.m. It will take place across from the gazebo on Dogwood Avenue and will focus on remembrance and honoring of all who have lost their lives, serving their country. Brigadier General Isaac G. Osborne, Jr. an assistant adjutant general in the Army, TN National Guard will be the keynote speaker. For more information, call Donald Reece at 979-3535.
Follow Tony Casey on Twitter @TonyCaseyJCP. Like him on Facebook at www.facebook.com/tonycaseyjournalist.comments powered by Disqus