Johnson City Press Thursday, July 30, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »

Follow me on:

News Local News

West Chestnut residence's porch torched by fire

April 23rd, 2014 3:36 pm by Tony Casey

West Chestnut residence's porch torched by fire

A discarded cigarette butt is likely the cause of a fire that happened Wednesday afternoon, authorities said.

Lt. Jerome Palmer said two trucks and three engines were initially dispatched to 114 W. Chestnut S. after a call came in just before 2 p.m. After removing planks, railing and plastic lattice on the front porch, Palmer said crews were able to contain and put out the first. He said one of the home’s occupants said they had tossed a cigarette butt in front of the porch area before going into the house.

It’s hard to say how long the material took to catch fire, Palmer said, but situations like this are a common occurrence.

He said the two occupants of the house smelled smoke and came out to find the porch on fire.

“Plastic is like gasoline and it caught the vinyl,” Palmer said of how the butt could have caught the plastic lattice on fire which spread to the wood on the porch.

Two dogs that were inside the house made it out safely.

Follow Tony Casey on Twitter @TonyCaseyJCP. Like him on Facebook at

comments powered by Disqus