ELIZABETHTON — A grandmother and three children were left homeless by a Friday morning fire.
Sgt. Brian Durham and Deputy Scott Whitmire of the Carter County Sheriff's Department responded to a mobile home fire at 185 Jackson Ave. at 7:12 a.m. Friday.
Whitmire said he spoke with Nancy Guinn, who said she had "stoked the fire to make it hotter" and took her grandchildren to the bus stop on Friday. She then went back to bed, but woke up to the smell of smoke.
She went in to her living room to check her wood stove and found the wall behind the stove to be on fire. She rushed through her home to find her dog and then went back to the living room, where she found the fire had started burning the ceiling. She then got out of her burning home.
Whitmire said he contacted com center and told them the Red Cross was needed to assist Guinn and her three grandchildren.comments powered by Disqus