Johnson City Press Sunday, August 2, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »
News Crime Local News

Update: Witness told police shooting began with home invasion; ex-Johnson City policeman's son charged with attempted murder

March 5th, 2014 9:23 am by Staff Report

Update: Witness told police shooting began with home invasion; ex-Johnson City policeman's son charged with attempted murder

Joshua A. Stevens with attorney Lisa Rice in Sessions Court on Wednesday (Becky Campbell, Johnson City Press).

A shooting in a Johnson City apartment complex that left a man with a gunshot wound in his abdomen and a former Johnson City policeman's son charged with attempted murder began with an alleged home invasion and robbery, according to a police report.

Joshua A. Stevens, 293 Austin Springs Road, Apt. 95, — later identified as a son of retired Johnson City Police Lt. Rick Stevens — was arrested Tuesday after he fired several shots at his apartment complex, wounding one person, police said Tuesday in a news release. Police had not identified the shooting victim.

Stevens was charged with attempted second-degree murder, reckless endangerment and possession of schedule IV narcotics for resale. He was jailed in the Washington County Detention Center on $200,000 bond with and arraigned Wednesday morning in Sessions Court. A preliminary hearing was set for March 17.

He's also was being held on other charges, including violation of probation, violation of the light law and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Because Stevens' father is a former Johnson City Police Department officer and his mother worked for the 1st Judicial District Attorney General's Office for more than 20 years, DA Tony Clark elected to recuse his office from the case. A pro-tem prosecutor from Greene County will be appointed to the case. Stevens is being represented by attorney Lisa Rice.

According to a police report, Benjamin Tyson, 21, told police he was in his apartment with his girlfriend Makela Burke, Josh Stevens and Stevens' girlfriend — who was identified solely as "Emily" — when someone knocked at the door late Monday night.

Tyson told police a white man he recognized and a black man he did not know entered the apartment and pointed handguns at them. Tyson said he and Stevens were forced to lie on the floor, and the intruders tied their hands behind their backs.

He also told police the men took about $1,000 and his cell phone from him, and additional cash was taken from Stevens' and Stevens' girlfriend. The intruders also tried taking a large television, but it broke when they dropped it.

The black man took Stevens' girlfriend out the door, and Tyson and Stevens broke the ties and jumped up, Tyson told police.

He said the white man fired a shot at them and left. Fearing for the woman's safety, Tyson and Stevens grabbed a hammer and knives and followed the men outside. Tyson told police he threw the hammer at the back window of a car the men were getting into, and the glass shattered.

Tyson told police someone fired four or five more shots at them before the car left. Tyson said he saw someone, probably the white man, going through the woods toward some other apartments in the complex. He said the man may have been injured.

In a court record, however, police said Stevens got a gun from his apartment and chased the robbers about 25 seconds after they left. Stevens then fired several shots from a second-floor balcony at the robbers and into their vehicle. One of the men was struck in his side, causing internal injuries that required treatment at Johnson City Medical Center.

The court record did not include the shooting victim's name. Police said the driver could not be located and it was not known whether he was injured.

According to the court record, Stevens gave Tyson the gun and what he thought was a bag of ammunition, telling him to hid it all in his car. Searching the car, police found the gun and a zipper bag containing 752 whole Xanax pills and seven half pills.

Stevens' girlfriend came walking back just as police arrived, Tyson told police.

The investigation was continuing police said.

Keep visiting for details on this developing story as they become available.

comments powered by Disqus