Johnson City Press Monday, July 27, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »
News Crime Local News Education

3 teens charged in bomb scare that forced Daniel Boone evacuation

November 20th, 2013 3:41 pm by Staff Report

3 teens charged in bomb scare that forced Daniel Boone evacuation

Three Daniel Boone High School students have been arrested in the wake of a bomb threat that forced the evacuation of the school on Monday.

Washington County Sheriff Ed Graybeal said two freshmen and a sophomore were charged with filing a false report. The three teens were being held in the regional Juvenile Detention Center in Johnson City pending a Washington County Juvenile Court hearing on Thursday.

A message was found written in a Boone bathroom regarding a possible bomb in the school.

One of the students had a map the school with "suspicious" markings and escape route, the sheriff said.

Students and staff members were evacuated, and classes were dismissed at noon as authorities brought in a bomb-sniffing dog from the Bristol Police Department to go through the facility.

Sheriff's Lt. Doug Gregg reported on Monday that the alleged threat was first brought to the attention of school leaders when a fellow student reported seeing the ninth grader with a map of the school.

“The map had X’s on it,” Gregg said at the time. “And he apparently said, ‘That’s a map of the places we’re going to put bombs in the school.’ It had an evacuation route and everything.”

Around the same time, Gregg said another student reported finding a message written on a bathroom wall that stated, “The bomb is ticking.”

When leaders spoke to the teen, they discovered even more “troublesome” items in his backpack, Gregg said.

“He had some kind of circuit, a battery and an electronic buzzer,” he said. “It would seem more like a hoax device.”

The boy also had “disturbing” writings in his possession, Gregg said.

A police K9 from Bristol and its handler conducted a search of the school shortly after noon Monday.

“The dog didn’t alert to anything,” Gregg said at the time. “The school was cleared.”

Additional Photos

comments powered by Disqus