Photo courtesy of the Mountain Empire Community College Haunted Forest.
October has arrived bringing with it a wide array of fun and frightening activities to suit most any tastes. From haunted attractions that dial up the fear factor to the frolicking fun of hay rides and seasonal shows, the area is rich with choices this month.
To help you make those decisions, here is INK’s annual roundup of local Haunts and Happenings:
• Cleek Farms and Corn Maze, 2233 Cleek Road, Kingsport, offers a five-acre corn maze and the Farm of Fears through Nov. 2. Call (423) 765-3123 or visit www.cleekfarms.com.
• Davidson Farm, 993 Carters Valley Road, Rogersville, offers a day maze and hay ride to the pumpkin patch on Saturdays and Sundays through Oct. 31. Haunted maze available by reservation for large groups. Haunted maze is open to the public on Halloween night. Call (423) 754-1547 or visit www.thedavidsonfarm.com.
• Fender’s Farm, 254 Highway 107, Jonesborough, offers a seven-acre corn maze and three-acre Field of Screams through Nov. 3. Also available this year is Redneck Zombie Paintball. Call (423) 753-4469 or visit www.fendersmaze.com.
• Kim’s Crazy Corn Maze, Walnut Tree Farm, Highway 58, Castlewood, Va., offers an old-fashioned hay ride and four-acre maze. Call (276) 762-5481 or (276) 254-9661 or visit www.kimscrazycornmaze.net.
• Myers Farm, 3415 Gap Creek Road, Bulls Gap, offers a 24-acre corn maze and a nine-acre Trail of Terror through Oct. 31. Call (423) 235-4796 or visit www.myerspumpkinpatch.com/.
• Punkin Patch Farm, 984 Cowans Creek Road, Nickelsville, Va., offers a small maze, hay rides, live music and a petting zoo through Oct. 31. Call (276) 479-3228 or visit the Punkin Patch Farm Facebook page.
• Stickley Farm Corn Maze & Pumpkin Patch, 531 Timbermill Private Drive, Bluff City, offers a regular maze and a haunted maze through Oct. 31. Also available this year is Ziplash, a 1,000-foot zipline. Call (423) 306-9994 or (423) 306-2173 or visit www.thestickleyfarm.com.
• Rocky Mount Living History Museum, 200 Hyder Hill Road, Piney Flats, will present Spirit of the Harvest from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Oct. 19. Call (423) 538-7396 or visit www.rockymountmuseum.com.
• Bays Mountain Park, Kingsport, will hold its annual Halloween Haunt from 7 to 11 p.m., Oct. 25-26, at the park. Includes a Haunted Forest, which is not recommended for children younger than 12. Call (423) 229-9447.
• Church Hill Middle School will hold the Panther Prowl 5K Costume-Themed Race/Walk and Fall Festival, beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing throughout the day, Oct. 26, at Church Hill Middle School. Cornhole tournament, car show, haunted field house, door prizes. Visit http://www.hck12.net/chms/.
• East Tennessee State University and the General Hale Natural History Museum and Visitor Center at the Gray Fossil Site will hold a day of Zombie Tag on Saturday, Oct. 26, on the ETSU campus. Proceeds from the day will benefit the museum and help provide state-of-the-art exhibits and science education. The day will begin at 10 a.m. with a Zombie 5K co-hosted by ETSU Campus Recreation. Zombie Tag for those ages 12 to 17 will be held at 2 p.m. on the main campus. A game for those 18 and older begins at 5 p.m. The goal of Zombie Tag is to “survive” the game. Each player is required to wear a black shirt over a white shirt, with the black shirt denoting “human.” As players are tagged, they must remove their black shirts to reveal their white shirts, which indicates “zombie.” Tickets for the teen event are $10 and may be purchased online at http://zombietix.com.
• The Painter Hollow Haunted Barn, 337 Montgomery Ave., Church Hill, opens at dusk on Fridays and Saturdays in October. Visit the Painter Hollow Haunted Barn Facebook page for details.
• The Mountain Empire Community College Haunted Forest, 3441 Mountain Empire Road, Big Stone Gap, Va., will be open from 7 to 11 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays, beginning Oct. 11. This is an outdoor event. Wear appropriate footwear. Admission is $5. Call (276) 523-2400 or visit www.mecc.edu.
• Scary Stories at the Carter Mansion will be held at 7:30 p.m., Oct. 24, at the Carter Mansion historic site in Elizabethton. Call (423) 543-5808 or visit www.sycamoreshoalstn.org.
• Witches Wynd will be held at 8 p.m., Oct. 25-26, at The Exchange Place. Tickets required. Call (423) 288-6071 or visit www.exchangeplace.info.
• Jonesborough’s Teen Movie Club will meet at 6:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 25, at the Jonesborough Library. The film will be “Hocus Pocus.” The program is free and open to students in grades 6 through 12. Registration is required. To register, call the Jonesborough Library at (423) 753-1800, or the Gray Library at (423) 477-1550.
• The Dobyns-Bennett Drama Department will present “The House of Frankenstein” at 7 p.m., Oct. 26-29 and Oct. 31, in the school’s Nancy Pridemore Theatre. Tickets will be available at the door.