Johnson City Press Monday, November 24, 2014
News Local News

Unattended drier likely cause of Stoney Creek house fire

September 3rd, 2013 2:33 pm by Staff Report

Unattended drier likely cause of Stoney Creek house fire


ELIZABETHTON — A house fire at 133 Midway Drive may have been caused by a clothes drier.


Deputy David Caldwell responded to the fire call about 3:15 p.m. Friday. When he arrived, he spoke with resident Margaret Irene Simerly, who said no one was in the home. 


Caldwell said Simerly told him she had left the drier on in the small room which appeared to be where the flames were. While the drier was operating, Caldwell reported that Simerly said she had left the residence for a very short time.


The Stoney Creek, Hampton and Watauga volunteer fire departments responded to the fire. Stoney Creek firefighter Danny Simerly was in command of the scene. Home owner Danny Simerly told Caldwell the home was insured for $106,000.

Additional Photos

comments powered by Disqus