ELIZABETHTON — Investigators believe the fire that destroyed a home at 190 Liberty Hollow Road last Thursday was caused by an electrical problem.
Carter County Sheriff's Department Investigator Larry Vaughn said he requested assistance from the state fire marshal's office. State arson investigator Don Cogan responded.
"Based on his investigation, we believe it was an accidental, electrical-related fire," Vaughn said. That finding was not yet official, but Vaughn said he did not expect anything to change.
The fire started sometime after 4:40 p.m. at the home of Donald Ensor while the family was at a football game at Unaka Elementary, where Ensor coaches. The Stoney Creek Volunteer Fire Department quickly responded to the rapidly burning house fire.
Vaughn said Ensor said the family left the residence at approximately 4:40 p.m. Ensor said he had left nothing turned on that was out of the ordinary. He said he turned off the lights as the family left except for a lamp in the living room and the outside front porch light.
The fire was reported to 911 at 5:24 p.m. when motorist Stacey Hoss was driving on Liberty Hollow Road and saw smoke and flames coming from the windows on the front side of the house.