Johnson City Press Monday, October 20, 2014
News Regional & National

Spanish justice minister says train driver now held on suspicion of negligent homicide

July 27th, 2013 8:10 am by YESICA FISCH, Associated Press

Spanish justice minister says train driver now held on suspicion of negligent homicide

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, Spain — Spain's interior minister says the driver whose speeding train crashed, killing 78 people, is now being held on suspicion of negligent homicide.

Minister of Interior Jorge Fernandez Diaz announced the step against Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, who previously had been detained on suspicion of recklessness.

The minister also says that Garzon has been discharged from the hospital and taken to a police station.

This is a breaking news update; previous story is below.

The arrested driver of the Spanish train that derailed at high speed, killing 78 and injuring dozens more, is still in the hospital and won't appear before a judge as hoped on Saturday, delaying a hotly awaited appearance that would be his first official explanation for Spain's deadliest crash in decades.

Blame has increasingly fallen on the driver, with the country's railway agency saying it was his responsibility to brake before going into the high-risk curve where the train tumbled off the rails and smashed into a wall. But it's still not clear whether the brakes failed or were never used, and the driver has remained silent so far.

Amo remains under arrest in the hospital on suspicion of recklessness. A blood-soaked Garzon was photographed Wednesday being escorted away from the wreckage, at first by civilians who had hurried to the scene of the accident and then by police, but it is not clear just what his medical status is.

Unconfirmed media reports said that Garzon had injured ribs.

The justice department had said that Garzon would likely testify before a judge Saturday, but said in a statement it intended now to wait until the 52-year-old is able to appear in court rather than having a judge come to his hospital bedside.

He had been expected to give a preliminary statement to judicial police as early as Thursday, but that process was delayed, reportedly due to health reasons.

In Wednesday's crash, the train's eight carriages packed with 218 passengers blazed far over the speed limit into a curve and violently tipped over. Diesel fuel powering the engine sent flames coursing through some cabins.

The president of Adif, the Spanish rail agency, said that the driver should have started slowing the train 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) before the dangerous bend. He said signs clearly marked this point when the driver must begin to slow.

Normally, police take a first statement that is then examined by an investigating judge who must then take testimony within 72 hours of the arrest. That deadline is Sunday, suggesting that Garzon will make some sort of declaration before a judge then.

Although the court hearing would be closed, it would give hints about the status of the investigation. The judge would decide whether to jail the driver as an official suspect, release him on bail, or release him without charges. If a judge finds sufficient evidence for a criminal trial, the suspect will be charged and a trial date set.

Earlier report:

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, Spain — The arrested driver of the Spanish train that derailed at high speed, killing 78 and injuring dozens more, is still in the hospital and won't appear before a judge as hoped on Saturday, delaying a hotly awaited opportunity for his official explanation for Spain's deadliest crash in decades.

Blame has increasingly fallen on the driver, with the country's railway agency saying it was his responsibility to brake before going into the high-risk curve where the train tumbled off the rails and smashed into a wall. But it's still not clear whether the brakes failed or were never used, and the driver has remained silent so far.

Francisco Jose Garzon Amo remains under arrest in the hospital on suspicion of recklessness. A blood-soaked Garzon was photographed Wednesday being escorted away from the wreckage, at first by civilians who had hurried to the scene of the accident and then by police, but it is not clear just what his medical status is.

Unconfirmed media reports said that Garzon had injured ribs.

The justice department had said that Garzon would likely testify before a judge Saturday, but said in a statement it intended now to wait until the 52-year-old is able to appear in court rather than having a judge come to his hospital bedside.

He had been expected to give a preliminary statement to judicial police as early as Thursday, but that process was delayed, reportedly due to health reasons.

In Wednesday's crash, the train's eight carriages packed with 218 passengers blazed far over the speed limit into a curve and violently tipped over. Diesel fuel powering the engine sent flames coursing through some cabins.

The president of Adif, the Spanish rail agency, said that the driver should have started slowing the train 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) before the dangerous bend. He said signs clearly marked this point when the driver must begin to slow.

Normally, police take a first statement that is then examined by an investigating judge who must then take testimony within 72 hours of the arrest. That deadline is Sunday, suggesting that Garzon will make some sort of declaration before a judge then.

Although the court hearing would be closed, it would give hints about the status of the investigation. The judge would decide whether to jail the driver as an official suspect, release him on bail, or release him without charges. If a judge finds sufficient evidence for a criminal trial, the suspect will be charged and a trial date set.


comments powered by Disqus