A company that operates two methadone clinics in Asheville, N.C., has filed a certificate of need to operate a clinic in Johnson City, nearly a decade after a similar effort failed. The company also has filed suit against the city claiming that its zoning restrictions for such facilities violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.
• Methadone clinic operator challenges Johnson City's zoning policy in lawsuit. The company attempting to open a drug treatment clinic in Johnson City filed a federal lawsuit earlier this month asking a judge to strike down the city’s zoning rules on such a facility and force the city to issue the required permits to allow the clinic.
• Both sides of methadone clinic issue have say at public hearing. A clear separation of support and opposition for the proposed location of a methadone clinic in Johnson City was felt throughout the Jones Meeting Center at the Johnson City Public Library Tuesday evening.
• Proposed Johnson City methadone clinic hearing scheduled for late MayA fact-finding public hearing is scheduled for May 28 on a proposal to locate a methadone clinic in Johnson City.
• Johnson City methadone clinic opposition grows. A resolution opposing starting a methadone clinic in Johnson City could be presented at the March meeting of the Washington County Commission.
• Methadone clinic may open in Johnson CityA certificate of need should be filed this week for a methadone clinic to locate in Johnson City, nearly 10 years after a certificate was granted but later revoked, according to a representative of the company backing this latest effort.
• Johnson City isn’t a good location for methadone clinic. We are adamantly opposed to efforts to locate a methadone clinic in Johnson City. It was a bad idea 10 years ago, and it’s still a bad idea today.
• Piney Flats methadone clinic proposal gets withdrawn. The proposal to rezone property to allow placement of a methadone clinic in Piney Flats did not make it to the Sullivan County Regional Planning Commission for consideration at Tuesday night’s meeting, having been withdrawn earlier in the day.
• Sullivan planners to hear from methadone clinic opposition. A Piney Flats community organization has asked to attend the Sullivan County Planning Commission meeting tonight to voice their displeasure over the possible location of a methadone treatment clinic in its midst.