Johnson City Press Saturday, August 1, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »

Follow me on:

Local News

Kingsport man charged in Johnson City home invasion set for hearing

May 16th, 2013 9:17 am by Becky Campbell

Kingsport man charged in Johnson City home invasion set for hearing

A Kingsport man accused of threatening to kill his ex-girlfriend at gunpoint in a north Johnson City home invasion was arraigned in a Washington County courtroom earlier this week and has a preliminary hearing scheduled Monday.
Tyree S. Ford, 3316 Watterson St., Apt. No. 84, was accused of forcing his way into his ex-girlfriend’s residence at 1112 Carroll Creek Road, Apt. No. 14, on Feb. 10.
He was arrested on May 11, according to a court affidavit filed by Johnson City Police Investigator Matt Bolton
According to the court document, Ford found out another man had been to his ex-girlfriend’s apartment and began calling her making threats “to harm her and her child ... saying things like ‘I’m going to kill you and your child or any guy that you try to talk to.’ ’’
That happened between 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. Feb. 10, then the victim told police that she heard a knock at her door and Ford kicked the door in and went inside.
The woman told police that Ford had a gun and began waving it around and making more threats, according to the affidavit.
Police said there were children inside the apartment during the incident and as soon as Ford kicked in the door, the woman told them to go to their room. The woman also told police that Ford grabbed her phone from her when she attempted to call 911, then stomped and broke a Sony PlayStation when she told him he couldn’t take it.
Police said Ford left, took the woman’s phone with him and then she got the children into her vehicle and left. According to the affidavit, Ford followed the woman to a nearby convenience store where she again attempted to call 911.
“(Ford) entered the store and took the phone from her and threw it on the ground, spit in her face and left,” according to the affidavit.
He was jailed in the Washington County Detention Center on $25,000 bond and was arraigned on Monday.

comments powered by Disqus