Johnson City Press Sunday, August 2, 2015
SNEAK PEEK: Take a first look at our new site and tell us what you think. »

John Thompson

Elizabethton Bureau Chief
Read More From John Thompson

Follow me on:

Local News

Meth lab found in Roan Mountain

February 20th, 2013 4:31 pm by John Thompson

Meth lab found in Roan Mountain

ROAN MOUNTAIN — The Carter County Sheriff's Department uncovered another clandestine methamphetamine laboratory on Tuesday.

Although it was only a modest size lab, it still required many man hours to make the property safe again, said Sgt. Harman Duncan, who directed the cleanup. No arrests were made.

The lab was discovered at 317 Heaton Creek Road at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. The discovery was made while Deputy James Stevens had come to the residence to serve an outstanding arrest warrant.

Stevens found no one at the residence. After getting no response at the front door, Stevens went around to the back door to announce his presence. While moving back to the front of the residence, Stevens said he discovered several bottles containing a white coating and several bottles with a hose run through the lid.

Stevens said his training led him to the conclusion that the bottles were an indication of methamphetamine manufacturing. He notified Duncan, who responded to the residence and examined the bottles Stevens had found.

After looking at the bottles, Duncan walked through the front yard and found several spent rounds of ammunition. Due to the spent rounds and the metamphetamine evidence, Duncan called for additional officers so the residence could be cleared and secured.

Two officers from Roan Mountain State Park responded to the call. The combined team then entered the residence through an unsecured window. Stevens said the team secured the residence and also discovered several other indicators of methamphetamine manufacturing in plain site.

Once the scene was secured, Duncan called the methamphetamine decontamination truck to the scene. The truck, along with Investigator/Drug Agent Travis Ludlow then arrived and began clearing the scene.

Duncan said it took between six and eight officers to clear the scene in three hours.

comments powered by Disqus