ELIZABETHTON — Two Carter County families suffered house fires this week.
Fire destroyed the mobile home of Michael Anthony Johnson at 124 E. Riverside Ave., Watauga, early Thursday morning.
Johnson told Deputy Dreama Pullon of the Carter County Sheriff’s Department that he and his wife had gone to bed between 10:30-11 p.m. He said his wife had been using the dryer in the laundry room prior to going to bed and had left it running.0
Johnson said his dogs started barking around 2 a.m. and he smelled smoke. He and his wife grabbed their dogs and tried to get outside. He said the trailer was filled with smoke and it was difficult to find the way out. He said he saw flames around the bottom of the dryer and wall as they left.
The Watauga Volunteer Fire Department responded to the emergency. The fire is being investigated by Larry Vaughn with the sheriff’s department.
The American Red Cross responded to the fire and is providing shelter and comfort kits to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson.
A fire was reported at the home of Allen Matheson on Whaleytown Road, Butler, around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Matheson was in Florida at the time and his son, Allen Matheson Jr., had been staying at the home. He had left the residence at 8:30 a.m.
Sgt. Wayne Pritchard of the Carter County Sheriff’s Department said he observed heavy damage to the front porch and front living area of the house.
Investigator Travis Ludlow is investigating the fire.