no avatar

Hampton falls in double overtime

Curtis Carden • Nov 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM

J.C. Campbell Stadium did not have the same, welcoming field compared to last year for Silverdale.The Seahawks (11-1) capitalized on back-to-back sacks on Hampton’s quarterback in double overtime and got Matt Millard’s go-ahead, 10-yard touchdown run in the extra period to escape Carter County with a 28-21 victory in the quarterfinals of the TSSAA Class 2A football playoffs.Silverdale will face Grace Christian Academy next week. Hampton end its season with a 7-4 record.“We can’t wait until overtime to step up next week,” Silverdale coach Al Rogers said. “The way the weather was tonight, it limited our passing game and we’ll have to focus on stopping Grace. They’ve got a good little back.”The Bulldogs were quick to erase any chance of a repeat of last year’s 41-8 loss to the Seahawks during the rainy night as freshman Adam McClain (12 carries, 63 yards) rumbled in from 5 yards out to give Hampton a lead 3:17 lead in the first quarter.Silverdale would knock on the door after taking advantage on a Bulldog short punt. Quarterback Nathan Keylon hit tailback Josh Rogers in stride from 28 yards out to knot up the contest.The see-saw battle continue late in the third quarter when quarterback Coby Jones (9-15, 139 yards, 18 carries 65 yards, two TDs) orchestrated a 12-play, 73-yard drive and capped it off with a 18-yard pass to Dylan Ford for a score. Boo Dugger’s point-after attempt moved the advantage to 14-7.Not to be outdone, the quarterback tandem of Nathan Webb and Keylon worked well for Silverdale. After a 57-yard kickoff return by Tristan Huggins, the Seahawks just needed three plays when Webb hit Jordan Rogers on a 27-yard pass to tie the contest with 3:52 remaining in the third period.“It was just a bit of rotating,” Rogers said about Webb and Keylon. “Webb is the better passer but with the conditions we utilized both the best we could.”The score remained 14-14 at the end of regulation, but an interception by Caleb West spearheaded momentum when Hampton attempted a 33-yard field goal that sailed just to the outside.“It’s the longest one Boo’s tried this season,” Hampton head coach Mike Lunsford said. “He could hit them from there, but he just didn’t hit it well. Normally he’ll hit that.”Jones hit fullback Tristan Robinson from 17 yards out then ran in on a QB keep to get the first overtime score while Josh Rogers tacked on a Seahawk score to move the score to 21-21.Silverdale scored on Milliard’s misdirection play in the second overtime.“We just got worn down going into halftime,” Lunsford said. “We bit on the misdirection. We had guys step up and make plays for us, I thought if we had them in overtime we could win, but they got us late.”

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos