Lady Toppers' season ends at Farragut

Douglas Fritz • Oct 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM

KNOXVILLE ― For 47 minutes, Science Hill was building a masterpiece of an upset.

However, when Knox Farragut saw a crack in the foundation, the Lady Admirals unleashed a beast of a comeback.

Trailing by two goals at halftime, Farragut answered with five second-half scores to earn a 5-2 decision in a Class AAA soccer sectional at Farragut Middle School on Saturday night.

It was a season-ender for the hearty Lady Hilltoppers (13-5-3) while Farragut (22-0-1) earned a spot in this week's state tournament.

Science Hill's first-half performance was something special. Grace Browder knocked one home in the 17th minute to give the Lady 'Toppers an advantage.

Late in the first half, the upset bid got real serious. Timbra Delaney beat a Farragut defender to a loose ball near the top of the box, and put the ball into the net for a 2-0 lead.

Science Hill had just two real scoring threats in the first half, and converted them both.

“We had talked about having a bitter taste in our mouth from Knox Catholic two years ago, and Knox Bearden last year,” said Hilltoppers' head coach Megan Harmon. “We talked about not digging a hole like we've done in the past. We hit them in the mouth, and we kind of caught them on their heels.”

Halftime came, but it wasn't what Science Hill wanted.

“I kind of wished we didn't have to have halftime,” said Harmon. “Farragut got a chance to regroup and came out stronger.”

Seven minutes into the second half, Farragut's relentless attack finally paid dividends. Joanda Parchman cleaned up a header ricochet with a knock just inside the right post.

Four minutes later, Katie Cloud caught up with a pass and slapped one home inside the right post.

It was 2-2, but Science Hill appeared to be in a lot of trouble.

“I remember looking at (assistant) Brandon (Kind) and saying, 'I wish soccer had timeouts,' ” said Harmon. “In basketball you can call timeouts and regroup. But that's the nature of the beast, and you can't do that in soccer.”

In the 61st minute, Katie Beuerlein put Farragut ahead to stay. She got her head on the ball after a corner kick, and the ball bounced into the net.

Five minutes later Cloud ended the suspense by driving a diagonal burner that skipped off the diving goalkeeper's hands.

K.C. Ward authored the tack-on score with a left-footed delivery with five minutes left in the game.

Overall, Harmon said she was very proud of her team.

“It's tough to see these seniors go,” said Harmon. “They came in with me as a head coach. They definitely grew as people, and grew as players.

“They definitely raised the bar. Nobody else will accept less than what we've gotten.”

Recommended for You