Kim Skelton in the county mayor's office said the fire started at about 10 a.m. Wednesday. She said officials made the call to evacuate nearby homes because they were concerned about toxic fumes.
Skelton said fire crews from surrounding counties are helping to put out the blaze. She said the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has been contacted because of concerns about toxic runoff into nearby Mill Creek.
Skelton said there have not been any reports of injuries. She said she could see the cloud of black smoke from the public square, about 10 miles away from the burning building, which used to house the Wrigley Charcoal plant.