The suicide attacks in Herat in western Afghanistan are followed by a fierce gunbattle between Taliban militants and security forces, Afghan officials say.
2. INDIA GANG RAPE DEFENDANTS SENTENCED TO DEATH
A judge orders to the gallows four men convicted of the fatal attack of a woman on a New Delhi bus.
3. WHO HAS MORE CHEMICAL WEAPONS THAN SYRIA
The American stockpile of some 3,000 tons is three times the amount purportedly controlled by the Assad regime.
4. FIRE RAGES ALONG BOARDWALK AT JERSEY SHORE
The wind-whipped blaze destroys more than 50 businesses and undoes months of rebuilding after Superstorm Sandy.
5. FLOODS RAVAGE RUGGED LANDSCAPE IN COLORADO
"My house is sitting in Class 3 rapids," says Jason Stillman, a resident of the town of Lyons in hard-hit Boulder County.
6. HOW TWITTER ANNOUNCED ITS UPCOMING IPO
Via a tweet, naturally.
7. DOZENS DIE IN BLAZE AT RUSSIAN PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL
The fire, believed sparked by a patient, quickly consumes the mostly wooden building that authorities had long warned was unsafe.
8. IN CALIFORNIA, LOW-WAGE WORKERS GETTING A BOOST
The state's minimum wage would rise to $10 an hour within three years under a bill that Gov. Jerry Brown has indicated he'll sign.
9. 'FLY THE FRIENDLY SKIES'
Travelers buy tickets for as little as $5 before United Airlines discovers the glitch on its booking website and phone centers.
10. PATRIOTS GET AN UGLY WIN
New England nips the Jets, 13-10, in a game as sloppy as the weather.