no avatar

Carbon monoxide detectors, radon testing saves lives

Staff Report • Aug 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The Washington County Detention Center is now being equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. The move comes after inmates held in an older section of the jail became ill in June when a malfunctioning gas-powered water heater released carbon monoxide into the ventilation of the cell block.Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas — one that is impossible to detect with your senses. Fortunately, carbon monoxide detectors can provide an early warning to a building’s occupants before the deadly gas climbs to a dangerous level. Each home, business or jail equipped with gas heat or any gas appliances should have at least one carbon monoxide detector. Radon gas is another deadly intruder in the homes of many Americans. Radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Only smoking causes more lung cancer deaths. Testing — which is easy and inexpensive — is the only way to know if your home or office is at risk from radon. The EPA recommends testing all buildings below the third floor for radon.You can obtain more information on the dangers of radon and how to obtain a testing kit by calling a toll-free radon hotline operated by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation at 800-232-1139.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos