Update: Son, mother charged in Jonesborough standoff

Becky Campbell • Apr 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM

A mother and son were arraigned Tuesday in Washington County Sessions Court following an early morning non-emergency 911 call that led to a two-hour standoff with the SWAT team and both getting shot with a Taser.

The incident started just after 11 p.m. when Evelyn Chesser, 74, 322 Patton Ridge Road, made a call to 911 from her son’s home claiming there was a man there with a gun.

That man was Jessie P. Nelson, 52, 1022 Conklin Road. When deputies arrived at the residence, they could hear voices of two people inside who were involved in a “heated argument and making threats to each other to do physical harm,” according to a court document.

When the two were finally in custody, Chesser was charged with domestic assault and resisting arrest and Nelson was charged with 13 counts of aggravated assault, kidnapping, domestic assault, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Officers tried to make contact with the two people — later determined to be Chesser and Nelson — but they refused to answer the door or exit the residence. Because of the nature of the argument, officers began to make a forced entry.

That’s when Nelson threatened to shoot and kill officers. Deputies at the scene formed a perimeter around the residence and called for backup from the SWAT team.

Eventually, Chesser was allowed to leave the home, but when she spoke to deputies, she said no one was armed in the house.

Deputies said she was lying, though, so she was arrested. Chesser refused to comply with instructions and was shocked with an electronic device before submitting.

Afterward, she told deputies that her son, Nelson, had held her against her will and that he was armed and would shoot any officer who attempted to come in his home.

Nelson was not in his right mind, she said, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.

The SWAT team broke out a window and threw in two noisemaking devices called flash bangs intended to disorient, at which point Nelson fired a shot from a handgun through the wall of his home.

Another disorientation device and a chemical agent were put in the home.

A couple minutes later, Nelson cursed deputies and exited the home through the rear door, according to the release.

Outside, Nelson refused to obey commands from officers which resulted in him being shocked with the electronic stun device.

That didn’t take Nelson down, so he was taken to the ground by SWAT team members and handcuffed.

Deputies recovered ammunition and a handgun from the residence.

Nelson received medical attention from Washington County EMS and was transported to the Washington County Detention Center.

Originally Nelson’s bond was set at $701,000, but reduced to $100,000 at his arraignment. Chesser was being held on a $3,000 bond. Both are scheduled to appear for a preliminary hearing May 8 at 1:30 p.m.

Assistant News Editor Rex Barber contributed to this article.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos