Elizabethton woman pulled from smoke-filled apartment
Mar 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM
ELIZABETHTON — Officers of the Elizabethton Police Department rescued a woman from a smoke-filled apartment Monday afternoon.
Officer Eric Buck said he was driving on Bluefield Avenue around 12:30 p.m. when he was flagged down by several people, who told him Apartment B2-105 at the Lynnwood apartment complex was on fire.
Buck rushed to the apartment and found the tenant Pamela Vance, 49, lying at the front door, half inside the apartment and half outside. Buck and Capt. Matt Bailey moved the woman from the apartment.
Buck said the apartment had heavy smoke coming from a rear bedroom, but no flames were seen. He then went around the side of the apartment and broke the screen in order to open the window. Once he opened the window, he said there was still smoke but no fire.
Patrolman Matthew Taylor responded and found a towel in the bedroom with flames rising about 11 inches. Taylor was able to extinguish the flames with his fire extinguisher.
A neighbor, Nancy Lowe, and another woman said they had helped Vance from the bedroom to the front door, where Buck found her.
The Elizabethton Fire Department responded and ventilated the apartment. Lynnwood management was also made aware of the emergency.
Buck reported that Vance appeared lethargic. He said Vance told him she had dropped a cigarette and that is believed to have been the cause of the fire and smoke.
Vance was transported to Sycamore Shoals Hospital by the Carter County Rescue Squad.