More than a dozen charges filed against man in alleged hit-and-run accidents

John Thompson • Feb 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM

ELIZABETHTON — The Elizabethton Police Department arrested a man Thursday afternoon who was accused of being involved in three separate hit-and-run accidents on G Street.

Felipe Ignacio Borquez, 18, 179 Whitson Drive, was charged with vehicular assault, leaving the scene of an accident with injury, reckless driving, simple assault, two counts of resisting arrest, driving under the influence, disorderly conduct, simple assault, two counts of leaving the scene of an accident with property damage, failure to report an accident, improper turn, failure to exercise due care, possession of drug paraphernalia and drinking under age 21. He is scheduled to answer the charges in Sessions Court on March 18.

Officer Sarah Ellison of the Elizabethton Police Department responded to the first accident around 5:30 p.m. The accident was at the intersection of East G Street and Holston Avenue. Ellison said the driver of the other vehicle was Amber Clatterbuck, who said she was stopped at the stop sign on East G Street when a blue Ford SUV on Holston Avenue made a left turn to go on G Street and sideswiped her 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt. She said the SUV kept going west on G Street.

While Ellison was conducting the investigation of the first wreck, Officer Doug Combs responded to a second hit and run on G Street at 5:35 p.m.

Combs spoke to the driver of the second car, Joan Audrey White, said she was traveling westbound when she was struck in the rear. The westbound blue Ford Expedition then passed her car by driving in the center turning lane.

Witnesses said the driver of the Expedition continued traveling in a reckless manner on G Street until he tried to make a left turn onto Carter Boulevard, failing to yield to oncoming traffic. The Expedition traveled into the path of an eastbound Chevrolet Cobalt, leading to a collision that caused extensive damage to the Chevrolet and injured the driver, Nita Jean Ellis. Ellis was transported to Sycamore Shoals Hospital.

Other witnesses followed the Expedition as it left the scene and continued traveling despite having extensive damage and a flat tire. The vehicle finally broke down on Southside Road near the intersection with Gap Creek Road.

Corp. James Deese and Capt. Art Smithdeal reached the location and made contact with Borquez and conducted a field sobriety check. Deese then told Borquez he was under arrest. Deese said Borquez began to resist and took a swing at Smithdeal. Deese then grabbed Borquez and took him to the ground. As he continued to resist, Deese said Smithdeal used a Taser on him for five seconds. After Borquez continued to resist, officers said Smithdeal administered another five-second cycle from the Taser. After that, officers said Borquez stopped resisting. After the arrest, an inventory of the SUV revealed two smoking devices in the center console.

Borquez was then taken to Sycamore Shoals Hospital to be medically cleared to be taken to jail. After he was cleared, Officer James Sexton said Borquez resisted and began fighting officers. He was finally handcuffed. Sexton said Borquez was being escorted from the hospital when he fell to the ground and began kicking at officers, screaming and cursing. Sexton then used his Taser on a five-second stun cycle. He said Borquez then ended his resistance and was transported to jail.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos