Carter Co. planners OK new subdivision proposal
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM
ELIZABETHTON — The Carter County Planning Commission heard two subdivision proposals during its Tuesday meeting and heard a complaint about drainage problems from a resident who said he experienced damage as a result of last week’s heavy rains.
The planners unanimously approved a 4.5-acre subdivision proposal by LaPorte Construction Co.
“He has really done a fine job,” said Chairman Steve Pierce. “He has put a lot of money in re-engineering the project.”
The only other division of property considered by the planners Tuesday was denied. The proposal by Rachel Bunten-Miller was denied until it can be brought up to county standards.
The commission also heard a complaint by private citizen Bobby Harding, who said his property was damaged by water coming from a mobile home park. Harding asked the planners for assistance in getting the park owners to clean out a drainage ditch that overflowed during last week’s rainy period. Harding said among other problems, the water got into a garage where he stored his daughter’s possessions and into his dog kennel.
Pierce said the county had no authority to go onto private property to correct problems. He suggested Harding’s recourse was to sue the park owners. Harding said he would consider suing the Planning Commission as well.
Following the meeting, Schuettler said the mobile home park had been put in place in 1987 by the late Paul Storie. He said it met the county’s requirements at the time, but mobile home parks developed now would be required to meet much stricter stormwater standards.
A vacancy on the Planning Commission will remain for at least another month. The County Commission, meeting earlier in the day, deadlocked on electing a replacement between former Planning Commission member Jerry Pearman and current School Board member Bobby Blevins. The request for applications will be republished and the commission will consider the appointment again next month.