no avatar

Smoke detectors alert Sulphur Springs family to fire; family unhurt

Staff reports • Dec 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM

A family living in the 1300 block of Sulphur Springs Road suffered no injuries early Saturday morning when a fire originating in the kitchen filled the home with smoke and caused major damage to the structure, authorities said.

Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department Chief Keith Ellis said Monday that smoke detectors alerted the occupants to the fire and they were outside the residence when firefighters arrived. Three dogs did perish from smoke inhalation. Ellis said damage to personal items, as well as the family’s Christmas presents, was minimal. Fall Branch and Gray Volunteer Fire Departments also responded.

Recommended for You