More record temperatures may be on way

Becky Campbell • May 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM

With the start of summer still three weeks away, the weather has already thrown near record- high temperatures, and more are likely on the way.

Memorial Day weekend saw temperatures near or above 90 degrees and even set a new record of 91 degrees on Sunday.

“A lot of people think since we had (a) warmer than normal winter we’d have a warmer summer,” said National Weather Service Meteorologist Jessica Winton.

But forecasters aren’t expecting any extreme temperatures at this point.

Still, a three-month outlook on the weather service’s website, indicates higher than normal temperatures are more likely than not.

For the June to August period, there’s a 42 percent chance of higher than normal temperatures in the Tri-Cities, a 33 percent chance of near normal and only a 25 percent chance of below normal.

The average temperature in June is 71 degrees; in July it’s 74 and in August it’s 73.

The record high temperatures for those months are 98 in June, 102 in July and 101 in August.

“Global patterns can give us an idea of what we might be able to expect in the next coming months, but we can’t pinpoint exact numbers,” Winton said.

As for the upcoming week, temperatures will be in the mid-80s today and Thursday, a high in the upper 70s to low 80s on Friday, then the mid- to upper 70s Saturday and low 80s on Sunday.

Also during that time, several showers are likely, according to the NWS website.

“We have a system coming through this weekend that will cool things off, but after that,” the temperature will rise again, Winton said.

In fact, she expects Monday’s high to be near 90 degrees.

“We expect rain until Saturday morning. It will move out and will be fairly dry so temperatures will warm up again by Monday,” she said.

The warm temperatures are not anything to worry about right now as far as local crops go, according to University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension Agent Anthony Shelton.

“As far as row crops (like) tobacco and corn, they got planted early this year. Most are warm- weather crops so as long as they get timely rain the hot weather is probably not that detrimental,” Shelton said.

Crops do need rain, but for now things look pretty good, he said.

“Crop conditions right now across the county are looking pretty good. It’s spotty, but that’s the way crop conditions are sometimes.”

Rainfall isn’t always consistent across the county, so some areas have better-looking crops than other areas, Shelton said.

“Some are looking great and some area needing some rain, (but) I wouldn’t be alarmed right now at the hot temperatures. As long as we don’t get any drought conditions,” crops should be OK, he said.

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos